CORDOVA — Aynor’s wrestling squad – having gone 2-1 in the Lower-State playoffs – dropped the Lower-State Championship 42-40 to Bamberg-Ehrhardt on Saturday.
“Bamberg-Ehrhardt is a good team,” Blue Jackets coach John Morello said. “They have four state champions on that team. By far the best wrestling team we’ve had to face so far. We’ve wrestled a bunch of teams and Bamberg was by far the best team we played all year long.”
Despite a loss in the finals, Morello is optimistic about his squad’s future because the team will have only two starters graduate in the spring.
“A lot,” said Morello, when asked how much motivation his team gained from the loss, “because we’re only losing two starting wrestlers. We’re a young team and these guys are going to go to camps this summer at N.C. State and UNC Greensboro and I think next year will be a really good year. The kids are real excited and next year should be the year.”
Meanwhile, Aynor had three standout wrestlers finish undefeated in the playoffs, including team captain and senior Andrew Scruggs (132 lbs.). Hunter Johnson (106 lbs.), and Landon Lawson (113 lbs.) both finished undefeated for the Blue Jackets as well.
“They did really well,” said Morello, whose team finished with a final record of 31-12. “Andrew is our leader, he’s only lost four times all year long. Johnson is a second year wrestler that has improved a lot. Lawson is a first year wrestler and he’s done very well for us, he had a great season. We got a lot of good kids on the team. A lot of juniors and several sophomores, so we’re looking forward to next year.”
106: Hunter Johnson (Aynor), pin Mitch Robinson. 113: Landon Lawson (Aynor), pin Justin Herner. 120: Malcolm Jones (BE), pin Skylar Roberts. 126: Lane Hiers (BE), pin Christian Alford. 132: Andrew Scruggs (Aynor), major decision Casey Johnson 11-2. 138: Mason Gates (Aynor), won by forefeit. 145: Cameron Johnson (Aynor), won by forefeit. 152: Casey Jones (BE), pin Zack McCracken. 160: Player Long (BE), pin T.J. Fox. 170: Raquan Brown (BE), pin Cole Capps. 182: Jeremy Davis (BE), pin Tyler Lewis. 195: Mark Moody (BE), pin Lewis Taylor. 220: DQ Nash (Aynor), pin Billy Williams. 285: Wyatt McCracken (Aynor), pin DeAngelo Tyler.
• (At) South Carolina Warriors 148, Lynchburg (Va.) Legends 114 | Lashun Watson had 40 points and Jon Pack (15 points, 13 rebounds), Jerry Wood (17, 15), Jarred Stockton (23, 10) and Barry Jordan (18, 10) each had double-doubles to lead the Warriors to a win over the Legends at the Carolina Forest Recreation Center.
The Warriors outscored the Legends 80-42 in the paint.
• (At) Andrews 61, Lake City 50 | Johnel Grant had 14 points, Jonathan Grant added 13 and Jowan Grant had 12 as the Yellow Jackets topped the Panthers.
• LAKE CITY (50) – Keith Burgess 16, M. Williamson 11, Larry Cooper 8, Deandre McCants 5, C. McFadden 3, J. Butler 2, Dontrey Barr 2, M. Brown 2
• ANDREWS (61) – Johnel Grant 14, Jonathan Grant 13, Jowan Grant 12, Travis Collins 7, Zayshawn Knowlin 7, Monte McCrea 4, Jackie Wilson 2, D.J. Lawrence 2
• 3-point goals: Andrews 1 (Jow. Grant). Team fouls: Lake City 30, Andrews 29. Fouled out: Barr (Lake City), McCants (Lake City), Collins (Andrews), McCrea (Andrews), Joh. Grant (Andrews). Technical fouls: None.
• Records: Andrews 6-15 (4-4 Region VII-AA)
CCU Women’s Indoor Track and Field
WINSTON-SALEM The Coastal Carolina 1,600-meter relay team – Jessica Gelibert, Qwontajah Thompson, Camille Hurley and Erica Peak – took first place in the 34-team Hilton Garden Invitational with a time of 3:50.48 on Saturday.
The Chants’ Letitia Saayman took second (17:42.20) in the 5,000 meters, where Kyla Van Graan followed in third (18:13:79). Other Chants with top-10s Saturday were: Gelibert (400m, fourth, 57.07, 60m hurdles, fourth, 8.66), Peake (60m, fourth, 7.49, long jump, third, 18-91/2), Amirah Al-Bayinnah (triple jump, fifth, 39-1/2), Hurley (60m hurdles, fifth, 8.81), Emily Marchini (800m, fourth, 2:18.34, mile, ninth, 5:08.81), Teka Simpson (high jump, fifth, 5-31/2), Thompson (400m, seventh, 57.58, 200m, seventh, 25.34), Mary Lawrence (pole vault, seventh, 11-21/2), Ashley Davis (60m hurdles, sixth, 8.91), and Anjulia Nicholson (weight throw, seventh, 52-111/2).
Long jump Peake third 18-91/2)
On the men’s side, Coastal had seven top-10s: Joseph Wilson (200m, fifth, 22.41), DeAndra Lipscomb (400m, third, 49.65), Carrington Fernandors (60m hurdles, 10th, 8.52), Reggie Nelson (high jump, third, 6-8), Wesley Edwards (high jump, seventh, 6-4), J.D. Barnette (triple jump, fifth, 46-63/4), and Ryan Minor (shot put, fourth, 51-31/2)