MURRELLS INLET — Socastee’s wrestling team continued on its path of destiny as it beat St. James 42-24 on Thursday to win the Region VII-AAA team title.
The Braves finished the season at 23-4 and now turn their focus to the Region VII-AAA individual tournament set for Wednesday.
“Its amazing,” Socastee coach Jeff Gibbins said. “It may have come as a surprise but our kids wrestled a lot in the off season. Its good for these guys to put the time in and get rewarded for it.
“I thought it was going to be a tough region. Region VII-AAA is the toughest in the lower state. The charleston region is right there with us. We are looking for big things to happen here on out.”
Justin Knipper, Jordan Hodge, Adam Powalie and Kyle Burton all picked up pin wins for the Braves. Mikel Nelson, Lohn Leggett, Cameron Amann, Tommy Lazaroff and Joseph Smolenski all had other wins for Socastee.
“Its awesome,” Gibbins said of the win. “Even though everyone says St. James is going through a rebuilding year, they are doing a great job. To be able to beat them, its a great thing, since they are the three time defending region champs.”
Randall Nielsen, Josh Varn, Steven Deible, DeEante Salaam and James Sanders all picked up wins for the Sharks.
Socastee 42, St James 24
106 – Justin Knipper, S, pinned Dalton Smith, 1:38; 113 – Jordan Hodge, S, pinned Shane Juretic, 1:06; 120 – Mikel Nelson, S, forfeit; 126 – Randall Nielsen, SJ, dec. Logan Gammon, 3-2; 132 – Josh Varn, SJ, dec. Koy Mai, 10-8; 138 – Cameron Amann, S, dec. Michael Mewhorter, 9-4; 145 – Adam Powalie, S, pinned Jacob Seifert, 1:44; 152 – John Leggett, S, dec. Jude Belanger, 3-0; 160 – Tommy Lazaroff, S, dec. Cameron Volpe, 6-4; 170 – Steven Deible, SJ, pinned Aydin Imani, 3:37; 182 – DeEante Salaam, SJ, pinned Zach Mor, 5:23; 195 – James Sanders, SJ, forfeit; 220 – Kyle Burton, S, pinned Jacob Loud, 3:38; 285 – Joseph Smolenski, S, dec. John Foster, 9-8.
High school boys basketball
• Christian Academy of Myrtle Beach 68, (at) Trinity Byrnes Collegiate 52 | Austin Guyton (17 points, 10 rebounds) and Kendall Henry (12 points, 11 rebounds) each had a double-double, recording four steals a piece to lead the Saints in the win over Trinity Byrnes Collegiate.
• CHRISTIAN ACADEMY OF MYRTLE BEACH (68) – Josh Lang 6, Austin Guyton 17, Max Smith 7, Bernard Jones 9, Cole Gore 7, Matt Doria 6, Garrett Richards 4, Kendall Henry 12.
• TRINITY BYRNES COLLEGIATE (52) – Kalin Brown 18, Tyrone McElveen 6, Will Naso 2, Michael Pavy 3, Kamani Williams 10, Chris McDowell 4, Jeff Chen 4, Christian Carey 2, Finn Paramore 3.
• 3-point goals: CAMB 6 (Lang 2, Guyton 2, Doria 2); TBC 4 (Brown 3, Paramore). Team fouls: CAMB 14, TBC 23. Fouled out: McDowell. Technical fouls: Guyton.
• Records: CAMB (16-5, 3-0 SCISA Region IV-A), TBC (9-11, 1-2 SCISA Region IV-A)