MYRTLE BEACH — The date for completing the new terminal at Myrtle Beach International Airport is now March 19, but there was some confusion about when it will open to the public.
Kirk Lovell, airport spokesman, said Wednesday morning that March 19 is the day the terminal is scheduled to receive its certificate of occupancy. However, it’s not the date the terminal will begin accepting travelers.
Lovell said airport officials are looking at their calendars to determine an appropriate go-live date. They’re hoping to have an announcement within the next few days.
Work on the terminal was originally expected to be finished Friday and open to the public on Feb. 19. The project suffered setbacks because Hurricane Sandy delayed the delivery of certain materials, including an emergency generator, for the new terminal.
In addition, one of the project’s major suppliers is going through bankruptcy.
This was the report Horry County Council received at Tuesday night’s meeting.
Airport director Mike La Pier said the additional work period won’t affect the project’s $118 million budget.
“We’re running very close to budget, a little under,” La Pier said.
Officials had been pushing to finish the expansion before the spring golf and tourist season started to heat up, aiming for it to be fully operational and ready for travelers on Feb. 19. The new terminal’s six additional gates will bring the total to 13.
Contact BRAD DICKERSON at 626-0301 or follow him at Twitter.com/TSN_bdickerson.