Police roundup | Computers seized in gambling investigation

January 17, 2013 

Police

MYRTLE BEACH

Gambling investigation leads to seizures

Myrtle Beach police assisted the State Law Enforcement Division Thursday in an undercover operation designed to eliminate illegal gambling activities, said Capt. David Knipes with Myrtle Beach police.

Officers seized 21 computers and cash from the 5 Star Internet Café Sweepstakes at 706 North Ocean Boulevard.

No arrests have been made and Knipes said the investigation is ongoing.

The computers, suspected of being used for gambling, were seized and will be taken to a magistrate for examination.

MYRTLE BEACH

Loaded gun found in bag at airport

A loaded gun was found inside a carry-on bag at Myrtle Beach International Airport Thursday morning, said Jon Allen with the Transportation Security Administration.

The gun was found about 8 a.m. and was caught at the checkpoint during the x-ray process, he said.

The gun was a .22 caliber revolver and was the first gun found at the airport this year. Last year security found three guns, he said.

Byron Preson David, 30, of Conway is charged with carrying a weapon in a restricted area, said Sgt. Robert Kegler with Horry County police. David was released from J. Reuben Long Detention Center on $1,000 bond.

“We continue to see nationally an increase in the number of firearms we’re discovering at checkpoints,” Allen said. “The national figure for 2012 was 1,543, up from 1,320 in 2011.”

Allen said the offense carries big financial penalties, up to $7,500 for carrying a loaded gun.

Passengers can travel with guns if properly stored in a checked bag, and if the passenger alerts staff when checking that bag, Allen said.

GEORGETOWN

Teen shooting under investigation

A 15-year-old boy shot himself in the foot Wednesday evening in Georgetown, according to authorities.

Officers were called about 8:30 p.m. Wednesday to Daisy Street in Georgetown for a shooting, according to officials. They found the teen, who is a student at Georgetown High School, had shot himself in the right foot with a 30-30 hunting rifle.

The teen was taken to the Georgetown Memorial Hospital where he was treated, police said.

No charges have been filed, but the shooting remains under investigation.

FLORENCE COUNTY

Man sentenced 20 years for staging death

A Florence man who was being investigated for a sexual assault on a minor in 2011 was sentenced Thursday for staging his death that included leaving his car at a Murrells Inlet boat landing, said U.S. Attorney William Nettles.

Harvey Cox, 60, was sentenced to serve 20 years imprisonment for staging his death and intentionally causing the U.S. Coast Guard to conduct a search and rescue mission when no help was needed and for possessing child pornography.

He also must pay the Coast Guard $51,094.25 to cover the cost of the fraudulent search and rescue operation.

Cox plead guilty on March 19, 2012, Nettles said.

The charges stem from Jan. 2011 when state authorities were investigating Cox as a suspect in an alleged sexual assault on a minor. Florence and Marlboro county authorities had scheduled a meeting with Cox for Jan. 19, 2011.

Instead, on Jan. 17, 2011, Cox sent his fishing boat adrift with his wallet and car keys and left his car at the boat landing in Murrells Inlet before taking a cab home to Florence. He left the state in another car.

His boat was found he next day and led to a search that involved marine sweeps with boats and helicopters that lasted for 10 hours before it was called off.

Authorities discovered continued activity of Cox’s phone and learned about the cab ride. He was arrested in Florida in March.

During the investigation, police found sexually explicit photographs of a minor at Cox’s home.

LORIS

15-acres burn in brush fire

The South Carolina Forestry Commission contained a brush fire in Loris, said agency spokesman Scott Hawkins.

Two forestry units along with Horry County Fire Rescue and volunteers from the Loris Fire Department all responded to the brush fire off Union Road in Loris near S.C. 9 and U.S. 701.

The fire was contained to 15-acres.

From staff reports

Myrtle Beach Sun News is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service