Morning blaze in Myrtle Beach caused by cigarette leaves man injured

troot@thesunnews.comJanuary 16, 2013 

— A man was injured early Wednesday when the home he was living in caught fire.

Myrtle Beach fire crews responded Wednesday to a report of a structure fire at 303 Seventh Avenue North, and found heavy fire on the front porch and smoke protruding from the rear of the dwelling, according to Lt. Christian Sliker.

The fire was caused by a discarded cigarette, he said.

Sliker said firefighters had the blaze under control in about 10 minutes, but that a man living at the single-story, wood-framed home suffered burns and was transported to Grand Strand Regional Medical Center. His condition was unknown.

The structure was heavily damaged in the fire.

Seventh Avenue North and parts of Flagg Street were closed.

Contact TONYA ROOT at 444-1723 or follow her at Twitter.com/tonyaroot.

Myrtle Beach Sun News is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service