• St. Rita of Cascia (Ill.) teammates Dominique Matthews and Scott Kingsley combined to score 50 of their team’s 78 points in a 14-point win over Christ Presbyterian (Tenn.). Matthews led with a tournament-high 27, and both shot at least 50 percent from the floor and hit 3 of 5 3-point attempts.
• St. Rita was 29-of-40 from the charity stripe in a win over Christ Presbyterian (Tenn.). The 29 made free throws ties for second all-time by a team in the Beach Ball. The record is 30 by Frederick Douglas (N.Y.) against Dominguez (Calif.) in 2004.
• Bishop Gorman (Nev.) 6-5 sophomore Nick Blair only had two points in the first half against Franklin, but he made them memorable. He followed a missed jumper by teammate Obim Okeke by taking the ball off the rim and slamming it in one motion to bring the Gaels bench to its feet.
Game of the day
• St. James nearly evened its all-time Beach Ball record to 1-1 but fell short against East Rutherford (N.C.) 49-44. Baskets by Haywood Brandon and Nehemiah Stafford in the final 1:20 pulled the Sharks within 3 points but they missed a shot with 17 seconds remaining and could get no closer.
On the horizon
• In a battle of 2011 Beach Ball semifinalists, Bishop Gorman (Nev.) will face Whitney Young (Ill.) in Friday’s nightcap scheduled for 8:45 p.m. Bishop Gorman won last year’s third-place game 84-51, but Whitney Young is this year’s favorite as MaxPrep’s No. 4 team nationally.
By Alan Blondin, firstname.lastname@example.org; Max McKinnon, email@example.com; Ryan Elswick, For The Sun News