Get ready to ring in the New Year! One of my New Year’s resolutions is to have more fun while spending less money. If that’s on your list as well, here are some events that will help get you started:
Friday and Saturday
• On Friday and Saturday at 10 a.m., catch a free holiday movie (The Grinch) at Grand 14 Cinema at The Market Common. They’ll also be selling popcorn and drinks for $1 each.
• On Saturday, NASCAR SpeedPark is showing its appreciation for locals by allowing residents of Horry, Brunswick, Williamsburg, Florence and Georgetown counties to purchase unlimited ride wristbands for $9.99 each (plus tax) from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. There will also be family activities, including face painting, character appearances, karaoke and a prize wheel.
• The Children’s Museum of South Carolina is holding a Noon Year’s Eve Bash from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Tickets are $5. There will be a kids’ sparkling juice toast and a balloon drop at noon.
• Jimmy Buffet’s Margaritaville is throwing a New Year’s Eve bash beginning at 9 p.m. Admission is $15 for guests 12 and older; free for kids under 12. This event includes live music by the Paul Grimshaw Band, free party favors, and a margarita toast and confetti party at midnight.
• From 9 a.m. to noon, all Home Depot locations will be holding a free workshop for kids ages 5-12. The kids will be building a birdhouse.
JULIE HENRY is a freelance writer, editor and project manager. http://www.myrtlebeachonthecheap.com/