CAROLINA FOREST — In Friday night’s Panther Classic championship game, Bearden (Tenn.) and Georgetown were out to prove which Bulldogs had the better bite.
In the end, Bearden proved that its bite was the winner in a 51-43 victory.
Bearden took control with a 5-2 run and had a five-point lead with just under four minutes to go in the first half. Charlie McGirt brought Georgetown within three on a layup, but Bearden closed the half out with a 6-3 run and led by six at the half.
Free-throw shooting became a sore thumb for Georgetown as it missed 11 shots at the line (7-18). Meanwhile, Bearden was solid at the line, connecting on 11 of 17, including seven straight makes to close out the game.
Brady Smith led Bearden with 15 points, while Jack Graham added 13.
McGirt led Georgetown with 13 points and Stepfon Cuttino had 12.
• BEARDEN (51) – Sam Green 6, Isaiah Campbell 5, Adarius Wilson 7, Jack Graham 13, Jordan McClendon 4, Brady Smith 15.
• GEORGETOWN (43) – Dae’Quan Gibson 4, Stepfon Cuttino 12, Eddie Anderson 4, A.J. Walker 2, Anthony Blair 6, Olajuwon Doliey 2, Charlie McGirt 13.
Halftime: Bearden 23-17 . 3-point goals: Bearden 3 (Graham 3); Georgetown 2 (Cuttino 2). Team fouls: Bearden 10, Georgetown 18. Fouled out: Gibson.
• St. James 89, Oakbrook Prep 81| St. James started the Panther Classic consolation championship down two starters.
However, those two came into the game and helped the Sharks to an 89-81 win over Oakbrook Prep.
Usual starters TreDarius McCallum and Caleb Duggan played key roles off the bench.
McCallum 13 of his 15 in the second half and had two key baskets with five minutes left in the game. McCallum put a rebound back in to tie the game at 67. In St. James’ next trip down the court, he nailed a 3 to give St. James a two-point lead.
McCallum’s 3 started a 6-2 run that saw the Sharks’ lead jump to six.
The Knights wouldn’t be deterred. Down six with 3:51 left, their pressure defense got them within two in a matter of a minute.
However, that would be as close as they would get.
J.J. Caldwell and Devarte Watson led Oakbrook Prep with 22 points a piece.
• Oakbrook Prep (81) – Devarte Watson 22, Will Hollendach 2, Matt Moore 9, Alex Hollis 4, J.J. Caldwell 22, Reggie Stoddard 12, David Pouzadoux 4, Nathan Moore 6.
• St. James (89) – Tyrell Dukes 6, Brooks Hurston 4, TreDarius McCallum 15, Caleb Duggan 6, Nehemiah Stafford 13, Jackson Hurston 10, Tyus Goodman 2, Heywood Brandon 14, Matt Strange 8, Dakota Holmes 6, Russ Sansbury 2.
Halftime: St. James 36-35. 3-point goals: Oakbrook Prep 7 (Caldwell 5, N. Moore 2); St. James 5 (McCallum, Stafford, J. Hurston 2, Brandon). Team fouls: Oakbrook 14, St. James 21. Technical fouls: George Burgeff (OAK).
• Records: Team, team