Man sentenced to seven years in prison in Myrtle Beach area burglaries

troot@thesunnews.comDecember 12, 2012 

A homeless man arrested earlier this year in three Myrtle Beach area burglaries pleaded guilty and was ordered to serve seven years in prison, according to court records.

Philip Anthony Sabatino, 25, pleaded guilty to second-degree burglary and Circuit Court Judge Larry Hyman sentenced him to seven years in prison, according to court records. Sabatino had been serving a probation sentence and it was revoked. Both sentences will run concurrently and Sabatino must pay court costs.

Sabatino had been jailed since his arrest in July on the burglary charge and several other charges that included three counts of accessory after the fact of a felony, two weapons charges and four counts of violation probation, according to jail records.

Sabatino and Wayne Carbonneau, 25, both homeless, are accused in several burglaries at homes in the Myrtle Beach area where a locksmith van, a handgun, jewelry and electronics were stolen, according to authorities.

Carbonneau pleaded guilty in November to second-degree burglary and was sentenced to six years in prison, given credit for the time he’s served since his July arrest and ordered to pay court costs, according to court records.

The burglaries for which the men were charged occurred at two homes in Myrtle Beach and a home in the Horry County police jurisdiction.

In July, Horry County police were called to Bluffton Drive after a man found Carbonneau and Sabatino standing in his living room holding his computer, according to a report. The victim said the suspects dropped the computer and ran out the back door.

Officers found them walking along a Frontage Road in the area and the suspects had the victim’s pistol and a bank bag that contained coins, watches, and the victim’s credit cards, according to the report. Horry County officers reported they also found an iPod, reported stolen in Myrtle Beach, in Carbonneau’s pocket when he was searched.

Carbonneau told officers he bought the iPod from a man in Myrtle Beach.

In the first incident in the city limits, Myrtle Beach police learned that a 41-year-old man reported his home in the 700 block of Ninth Avenue South was burglarized July 11, when someone broke a window in the back door and forced their way inside. Loose change, valued at $265, and jewelry, valued at $400, was reported stolen.

Police reviewed video surveillance at a nearby Food Lion and saw two men cashing in the coins and found the jars the change was in thrown into trash cans, according to the report.

In the second incident, a 39-year-old man and his 37-year-old wife reported their home in the 600 block of White Oak Lane was burglarized July 12, according to the Myrtle Beach police report. The victims told officers someone kicked in the front door to get inside.

A flat-screen television, iPod, two cameras and some jewelry valued at $4,480 were stolen from inside the house and a 2000 van for Henry’s Lock and Key was stolen from the driveway. The van was valued at $20,000.

Contact TONYA ROOT at 444-1723.

Myrtle Beach Sun News is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service