SOUTH FLORENCE — St. James fell to South Florence in a nail-biter 56-55, giving the Bruins their fourth win in a row.
“We played a hard fought game,” St. James coach Monty Carr said. “We had a third quarter letdown, and we allowed South Florence to get a margin. We tied it up, but we blew multiple opportunities, and they took the lead.”
The story of the night for the Sharks. While both teams stayed fairly even throughout the whole game, something had to give. Not all was lost, as Caleb Duggan put up 15 points. Nehemiah Stafford and Matt Strange added 10 a piece, keeping St. James’ hopes alive, but in the end the ball simply went the other way.
“We approach every game knowing its going to be a battle, especially a well-coached, talented team like South Florence,” Carr said. “That’s why we play the game, so that the fans have a reason to stand up and cheer.”
• St. James (55) – Tyrell Dukes 2, Tradarius McCallum 5, Caleb Duggan 15, Nehemiah Stafford 10, Jackson Hurston 9, Heywood Brandon 2, Matt Strange 10, Dakota Holmes 2.
• South Florence (56) – Chris James 22, Michale Ellis 9, Demerous Robinson 7, Josh Johnson 12, Justin Ford 6.
• 3-point goals: St. James 6 (McCallum, Duggan 3, Hurston, Strange ); South Florence 8 (James 4, Robinson, Johnson 2, Ford). Team fouls: St. James: 12; South Florence: 16.
• Records: St. James 2-1, South Florence 4-0.
High school girls basketball
• (At) South Florence 46, St. James 34 | South Florence came out strong against an equally impressive Sharks squad, and managed to maintain the momentum throughout the game.
Hannah Price led St. James in scoring for the night with 10, despite coming up short. The Bruins’ Miyah Barnes scored 10 as well, with Alexis Wilson and Maleaha Johnson adding nine a piece to cap off the win.
South Florence moves to 3-1 on the year, while the Sharks fall to 4-2.
• St. James (34) – Kimmy Hatzelt 5, Anna Cavin 4, Chelsie Bachman 3, Hannah Price 10, Nicole Myers 3, Eldreana Hannah 5, Stephanie Goodrich 4.
• South Florence (46) – Matisha Knight 2, Miyah Barnes 10, Shantajah Barnes 2, Ashley Briggs 4, Shaniqua McCants 6, Alexis Wilson 9, Maleaha Johnson 9, Zakia Douglas 4.
• 3-point goals: St. James 3 (Hatzelt, Bachman, Price). Team fouls: St. James 14, South Florence 15.
• Records: St. James 4-2, South Florence 3-1.
• Socastee 68, (at) Loris 20 | Eighth-grade Brave Kira Bell shined in Socastee’s rout of the Lions, beating setting a new career-high with 20 points.
Bell hit 8-for-10 from the field, and 4-for-5 from free throw line. The Braves move to 4-2 with the win.
• Socastee (68) – Heather Kiker 3, Sadriana Grant 5, Kira Bell 20, Sidney Wortham 6, Madison Lowe 6, Mia Angelou 6, Sierra McCarthy 7, Ashley Schildkraut 2, Kirstin Denardo 13.
• Loris (20) – Bellamy 2, Griffin 2, J. Bellamy 5, L. Jackson 4, N. Gill 2, T. Littlejohn 2, Jennerette 1, D. Phillips 2.
• 3-point goals: Socastee 5(Kiker, McCarthy, Denardo 3). Team fouls: Socastee: 13, Loris: 13. .
• Records: Socastee 4-2, Loris 2-2.
High school wrestling
• (At) North Myrtle Beach 58, St. James 9 | The Chiefs made quick work of the Sharks losing just two matches the entire night. Logan Stump, Codie Aube, William Lewis, JaQua Evans, Gerodie Graham, Mikhaail Vlaha all picked up pin wins, while Steven Small, Brandon Moore, Jared Woody and Harrison Smith had major decision wins. Brian Meier-Beck and Hampton Harmon each had decisions in their wins for North Myrtle Beach.
Josh Varn had a decision win and John Foster got a pin for St. James.
• 106: Logan Stump, NMB, pinned Dalton Smith, 0:55; 113: Codie Aube, NMB, pinned Thomas Parker, 1:07; 120: Steven Small, NMB, major dec. Randall Nielsen, 10-0; 126: Josh Varn, SJ, dec. Tyler Stump, 9-4; 132: William Lewis, NMB, pinned Tiger Spencer, 1:44; 138: Brandon Moore, NMB, major dec. Jacob Seifert, 14-2; 145: Jared Woody, NMB, major dec. Michael Mewhorter, 9-1; 152: JaQua Evans, NMB, pinned Jude Belanger, 0:55; 160: Brian Meier-Beck, NMB, dec. Cameron Volpe, 8-2; 170: Hampton Harmon, NMB, dec. DeEante Salaam, 3-2; 182: Gerodie Graham, NMB, pinned Riley Gentz, 3:44; 195: Mikhaail Vlahas, NMB, pinned Brandon Christian, 0:26; 220: Harrison Smith, NMB, major dec. James Sanders, 12-4; 285: John Foster, SJ, pinned Mackenzie Angel, 0:00.