Police roundup | Counterfeit money used at convenience store

November 12, 2012 

Police

MYRTLE BEACH

Counterfeit money used at local store

A Myrtle Beach store clerk called police after a woman tried to use a counterfeit bill and then the clerk found another fake bill in the cash register, according to a police report.

The clerk at the Scotchman at 1101 Third Ave. S., called officers at 9:40 a.m. Sunday to report a woman came into the store and tried to pay with a counterfeit $10 bill, police said.

The employee told officers the bill did not feel like it was real and when she checked it with a counterfeit marker, it made a black mark indicating the bill was fake, according to a police report.

The employee said the woman paid for the merchandise with another bill.

As the clerk checked the cash register, she told officers she found another counterfeit bill that had been used in the store during the night, according to the report.

Officers seized both bills as evidence and were getting a copy of the store’s video surveillance in an attempt to identify the woman in the incident.

MYRTLE BEACH

Man charged after gun fired in complex

A Myrtle Beach man was jailed early Sunday on two weapons charges after police said he fired a gun in an apartment, according to a police report.

Francisco Basurto-Dominguez, 42, of Myrtle Beach was charged with discharging a firearm into a dwelling and illegal possession of a weapon after officers were called about 2 a.m. Sunday to 1114 Dunbar St., police said.

Officers were called to an apartment complex for a shooting and were directed to an apartment where the gunshots were heard, according to the report. When no one would answer the door, officers forced their way inside and found a 56-year-old woman in the kitchen.

Basurto-Dominguez was not inside the apartment when officers went inside, but they found him in a wooded area along Dunbar Street, according to the report.

MYRTLE BEACH

Attempted robbery reported at city park

Myrtle Beach police are investigating a report that a man tried to rob two sisters of their purses as they sat in a city park, according to a police report.

The victims, ages 30 and 31, told officers they were sitting in Anderson Family Park at 20th Avenue North and Ocean Boulevard at 7 p.m. Sunday when the man walked up to them and said he needed their purses, police said.

The younger woman told police she saw the man pull out a handgun and slide the top of it back, according to the report. The victim said she noticed there was not a bullet in the chamber of the gun when the man cocked it so she stood up and started to yell for help.

The victim said the suspect then ran off and did not take anything from them, according to the report. The women were not hurt during the incident.

Local

HORRY COUNTY

South Carolina gas prices falling

The price for a gallon of gas in South Carolina decreased by 3.9 cents last week to average $3.07 on Sunday, which is slightly more of a decrease than the national average that fell 3.2 cents to average $3.46 per gallon, according to gasoline price website SouthCarolinaGasPrices.com.

Prices on Sunday in South Carolina were 11 cents per gallon lower than a year ago and are 41.4 cents per gallon lower than a month ago, according to the site. The national average has decreased 32.6 cents per gallon during the last month and is 3.1 cents per gallon higher than a year ago.

CONWAY

House District 56 runoff date to be set by state

A date could be set this week for a vote recount for the state House District 56 seat that was expected on Friday in Conway..

Lisa Bourcier, Horry County spokeswoman, said the South Carolina State Election Commission will decide on the recount on Wednesday and then set the date for when it will happen.

“The State Election Commission has to order recounts on state races, where our local election commission can only order recounts on local races,” Bourcier said via email.

With all precincts reporting Tuesday, petition candidate Mike Ryhal had 49.97 percent, and fellow petitioner Dennis DiSabato had 49.47 percent, according to unofficial results. The recount is needed because the difference was less than a 1 percent margin.

CONWAY

County hosting high school video contest

Horry County Board of Architectural Review is sponsoring the first annual High School Video Contest.

The objective of the contest is for Horry County high school students to create local history related videos, telling the story of a building or a site within Horry County that is at least 50 years old and increasing their awareness of local history.

The contest is open to all Horry County high school students as well as students in a homeschooling program that are residents of Horry County.

For a complete list of the general rules of contest, please go to www.horrycounty.org/planning/BAR/Content/Video_App.pdf.

All submittals are due by Friday, by 5 p.m. Any questions on the possible age of a structure or site, on eligibility or the subject matter of your project, please call Adam Emrick in the Horry County Planning Department at 915-7897 or email emricka@horrycounty.org.

From staff reports

Myrtle Beach Sun News is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service