MYRTLE BEACH — A recount will be held at certification hearing for state House District 56.
With all precincts reporting, petition candidate Mike Ryhal had 49.97 percent, and fellow petitioner Dennis DiSabato had 49.47 percent, according to unofficial results. The recount is needed because the difference was less than a 1 percent margin.
The results won’t be made official until Friday morning.
DiSabato could not be reached for comment Tuesday evening.
Ryhal said he couldn’t say who would end up winning for sure as the numbers continued trickling in. “This is crazy. There’s nothing like it,” he said.
He was quite impressed with the turnout numbers he was seeing, he said.
“We have two good candidates. The voters came out and supported that,” Ryhal said.
The race to the finish line was the latest chapter in a wild ride for the two men who hope to represent District 56, which includes the Carolina Forest area.
On Oct. 2, a Circuit Court Judge sided with Ryhal following a lawsuit filed by DiSabato.
DiSabato’s lawsuit accused Ryhal of improper filing procedures as a petition candidate.
It was the latest round in a campaign that wasn’t short on drama.
Before the lawsuit, the two Republican candidates were tossed off the ballot before the June primaries, along with hundreds of others statewide, following a state Supreme Court ruling that disqualified them because they failed to file their Statement of Economic Interests forms at the same time as their candidacy notice.
They successfully got back on as petition candidates.
“This particular race has been very interesting, from all aspects,” Ryhal previously said.
Contact BRAD DICKERSON at 626-0301.