ALMOST DAILY | Through December
Christmas spirit on stage
The local house shows have gone into Christmas mode through year’s end, and prices vary for each:
• “The Carolina Opry Christmas Special,” through Jan. 5 at Calvin Gilmore Theatre, on U.S. 17 Business, near northern junction of U.S. 17 Bypass in Myrtle Beach. 913-8888, 913-4000, 800-843-6779 or www.thecarolinaopry.com.
• “Christmas on Ice,” Friday-Dec. 29 at Palace Theatre, Broadway at the Beach, at 21st Avenue North and U.S. 17 Bypass in Myrtle Beach. 448-0588, 800-905-4228 or www.palacemb.com.
• “Dino’s TV Christmas Special,” and “The Marvelous Wonderettes – Holiday Prom,” through Dec. 20 and 11, respectively, at The Grand Theatre, 301 U.S. 17 Business S., Surfside Beach. 808-9188, 800-252-5642 or www.thegrandtheatre.us.
• Legends in Concert, Friday-Dec. 31, with tribute artists to Elvis Presley, Celine Dion, Alan Jackson, Johnny Mathis and the Blues Brothers, at 2925 Hollywood Drive, Myrtle Beach, at U.S. 17 Bypass and 29th Avenue North, next to Planet Hollywood, at Broadway at the Beach. 238-7827, 800-960-7469 or www.legendsinconcert.com.
• “Christmas at Pirates Voyage Fun, Feast & Adventure,” Nov. 9-Dec. 31 on U.S. 17 Bypass, near northern junction of U.S. 17 Business in Myrtle Beach. 497-9700, 800-433-4401 or www.piratesvoyage.com.
• “The South’s Grandest Christmas Show,” Friday-Dec. 31 at Alabama Theatre, Barefoot Landing, on U.S. 17 in North Myrtle Beach. Details at 272-1111, 800-342-2262 or www.alabama-theatre.com.
SUNDAY | 11.04
‘The Russian Legacy’
The Long Bay Symphony presents the second concert of its 25th anniversary season, “The Russian Legacy,” at 4 p.m. Sunday at Myrtle Beach High School, 3302 Robert Grissom Parkway, between 29th and 38th avenues North.
The program, with guest Adam Neiman on piano, will cover Rimsky-Korsakov’s “Capriccio Espagnol,” Prokofiev’s “Love for Three Oranges Suite,” Shostakovich’s “Festive Overture” and Rachmaninoff’s “Piano Concerto No. 3.”
Tickets are $40, $45 or $50; seniors (ages 60 and older) $35, $40 or $45; and students age 22 or younger with valid ID $15.
Details at 448-8379 or www.longbaysymphony.com.
THROUGH NEXT WEEK | ENDING 11.10
‘A Midsummer Night’s Dream’
Coastal Carolina University’s theater department will perform Shakespeare’s “A Midsummer Night’s Dream” for two weekends through Nov. 10.
This classic comedy for all ages follows the adventures of four young, Athenian lovers venturing into the woods when trying to escape the tyrannical rule of their royal families, but they encounter magical fairies.
Shows are in CCU’s Wheelwright Auditorium, off U.S. 501 in Conway at 7:30 p.m. Thursday-Friday, and Wednesday-Nov. 10, and 3 pm. Nov. 10.
Ticket prices are $15 for adults; $10 CCU and Horry-Georgetown Technical College faculty, staff, alumni, and ages 65 and older and Osher Lifelong Learning Institute members; and $5 CCU and HGTC students, and ages 17 and younger.
Details at 349-2502 or www.coastal.edu/culturalarts.
FRIDAY, SATURDAY, MONDAY | 11.02, 11.03, 11.05
Sales booked at libraries
Several used book sales are planned in the next week, and they include CDs, DVDs and audiobooks.
Two Horry County Memorial Library branches (or www.hcml.org) have sales:
• Socastee | during regular hours: 9 a.m.-6 p.m. Friday, and 9 a.m.-2 p.m. Saturday, at 101 707 Connector Road, near S.C. 707 and S.C. 544. Details at 215-4700 or socasteelibrary.blogspot.com.
• Carolina Forest | 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Saturday at 2250 Carolina Forest Blvd., east of U.S. 501. 915-5282.
A weeklong sale of used and new goods is at Myrtle Beach’s Chapin Memorial Library, 400 14th Ave. N., at Kings Highway, Monday-Nov. 11, during regular hours: 10 a.m.-6 p.m. Mondays and Wednesdays, 10 a.m.-7 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays, 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Fridays, and 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Saturdays. Also: Books, DVDs and VHS tapes for children and young adults are buy one, get one free. 918-1275 or www.chapinlibrary.org.
Also, the Horry County Literacy Council’s sales go year round at its L’il Book Nook, is open 9 a.m.-3 p.m. Mondays-Thursdays in the Myrtle Beach Family Learning Center, 3101 Oak St., and all proceeds benefit adult literacy programs. Details at 839-1695 or www.literacyhc.org.
FRIDAY | 11.02
Adults are welcome to join a 13th anniversary Jazzercise party Friday in North Myrtle Beach.
The celebration, in the city’s J. Bryan Floyd Community Center, 1030 Possum Trot Road, starts with a class 5:45-6:30 p.m., then a covered dish dinner until about 7:30.
Regular classes are 9-10 a.m. Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays; 6-7 p.m. Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays; and 9-10 a.m. Saturdays.
Jazzercise body sculpting is 5:15-6 p.m. Mondays and at 8:15-9 a.m. Fridays. Fees are $33 per month, or $10 walk-in rate; four- and eight-week passes also available.
Details from Debbie Transou at 249-5828, parks.nmb.us/pages.aspx?id=36, www.jazzercise.com, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.