Many of these classes, events and meetings are sponsored by Georgetown Memorial Hospital, but some take place at different locations. Call the numbers listed for more information or visit www.georgetownhospitalsystem.org.
Chronic kidney disease education | Varying schedule, varying locations in Horry and Georgetown counties. Free. 866-647-9396 or www.ultracare-dialysis.com/TOPS.
Health screenings | Tuesdays, mall area, Georgetown Memorial Hospital; Thursdays, front lobby, Waccamaw Community Hospital. Finger-stick lipid profiles with blood sugar test: $20; diabetes screening-hemoglobin A1C: $15; blood sugar levels: $3. Free blood pressure screenings from 7:30 a.m. to noon. 546-0623.
Drive-through flu vaccine clinic | $25. Medicare B is accepted and a Medicare card must be presented. 520-8579. Scheduled as follows:
• 7:30 a.m. to noon every Tuesday at Georgetown Memorial Hospital in the mall area of the hospital.
• 7:30 a.m. to noon every Thursday at Waccamaw Community Hospital in the hallway next to Same Day Surgery.
Mended Hearts | 6 p.m. Tuesday, HealthPoint Center for Health Fitness, 12965 Ocean Highway, Pawleys Island. A light meal will be served. 685-3378 or firstname.lastname@example.org or visit website www.mendedhearts.org.
Seminar: Obesity Surgery | 5 p.m. Thursday, Wachesaw Conference Center, 4367 Riverwood Drive, Suite 160, Murrells Inlet. 545-8850 to register.
Regional Health screenings | 7:30-10:30 a.m. Friday, Precious Blood of Christ Catholic Church. 520-8579.
Prepared Childbirth class | 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Saturday, first-floor classroom, Waccamaw Community Hospital. $50. 520-8490 to pre-register.
• Young stroke survivors between ages 20 and 65 | 11:30 a.m. third Wednesday each month, first-floor classroom, Waccamaw Hospital or 5:30 p.m. education center, Georgetown Memorial Hospital. 655-2835 or visit www.YoungStroke.org.
• Obesity Surgery | 6:30 p.m. Thursday, Wachesaw Conference Center, 4367 Riverwood Drive, Suite 160, Murrells Inlet. 545-8850
• Alzheimer’s | noon, Nov. 5, Prince George Episcopal Church. 237-2845.
Blood drives sponsored by American Red Cross are scheduled as follows. Call 839-4483 or 800-RED-CROSS.
• 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Wednesday, Horry County, 1301 Second Ave., Conway. 915-5000
• 12:30-5:30 p.m. Thursday, HealthPoint, 12965 Ocean Highway, Pawleys Island. 546-4358
• 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Friday,Waccamaw Community Hospital, 4070 U.S. 17 Bypass, Murrells Inlet. 652-1135
• 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Friday, Waccamaw Community Hospital, 4367 Riverwood Drive, Murrells Inlet. 652-1135
• 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday, Wal-Mart, 2709-A Church St., Conway. 796-1965
• 8 a.m. to noon Saturday,Shepherd of the Sea Lutheran Church, 2637 U.S. 17 S., Garden City. 357-3131
• 1-6 p.m. Nov. 6, Little River Methodist Church, 1629 U.S. 17. 399-6028
Many of these classes, events and meetings are sponsored by Conway Medical Center, but some take place at the Conway Medical Wellness and Fitness Center. Call the numbers listed for more information or log on to www.conwaymedicalcenter.com.
Obstetrics tour | 2 p.m. Sundays, The Birthplace, Conway Medical Center, 300 Singleton Ridge Road, Conway. 347-8108
Parents Anonymous | 5-7 p.m. every Wednesday, Conway Medical Center. 347-8108
Cancer Prevention study | 3-7 p.m. Nov. 8, Conway Medical Center Administrative Building Auditorium. The American Cancer Society will be conducting Prevention Study 3, you need to pre-register by going to www.cps3coastalsc.com. After registering, you will need to complete a survey at home prior to Nov. 8. Free and open to the public.
Many of these classes, events and meetings are sponsored by Grand Strand Regional Medical Center, but some take place at the YMCA on 62nd Avenue North in Myrtle Beach or at HealthFinders in Coastal Grand mall. Call the numbers listed for more information or log on to www.grandstrandmed.com.
Walk-in screenings | 10 a.m. to 7:30 p.m. Monday through Saturday, HealthFinders. $7 for cholesterol screening; $20 for lipid panel; $20 for A1C testing; blood pressure and weight screenings free. A 12-hour fast required for lipid profile. 692-4444
BLS CPR/AED classes | First Aid; Babysitter and Family Care Giving classes and certifications offered weekly by appointment. All instructors are AHA/ARC certified. K-Loc Healthy Kids, Inc., 1435 Cannon Road, Myrtle Beach. Classes available in Georgetown and North Myrtle Beach. Registration required. 467-0068.
Addiction counseling | Narconon. Call for free assessments or referrals, 877-413-3073 or www.drugsno.com.
Nar-Anon family group | 7 p.m. Sundays, Recovery Warehouse, 3116 Shetland Lane, unit 34, Myrtle Beach. 233-9017
Seminar: Breast Cancer Awareness | noon-1 p.m. Monday, HealthFinders. Lunch served. Limited seating. Pre-registration requested, 692-4444.
Flu vaccination clinic | 3-5 p.m. Tuesday, River Hills Medical Plaza, Little River. Flu shots are $20 for individuals 16 and over. Parental consent required for ages 16 and 17. No charge for Medicare recipients with a red/white/blue Medicare (Part B) card. 839-9933 or 692-4444. Clinics held on a walk-in basis, no appointments.
Prepared Childbirth course | 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday, Grand Strand Regional Medical Center. $50. 692-4444 to register.
Prepared Childbirth course | 7 p.m. Nov. 5, 12 and 19, Grand Strand Regional Medical Center. $50. 692-4444 to register.
Infant Care class | 10:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Nov. 10, HealthFinders. Free. 692-4444 to register.
Breastfeeding class | 1:30-3:30 p.m. Nov. 10, HealthFinders. Free. 692-4444 to register.
• Rape Crisis Center | Individual counseling, support group, 24-hour hotline for victims of sexual assault. 448-3180 or 448-7273
• Grief Share | 3-4 p.m. every Wednesday through Nov. 7, National Healthcare Center, 9405 U.S. 17 Bypass, Murrells Inlet. 349-4400
• Non-offending parents of child victims of sexual assault | 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Tuesdays, Conway. Visit www.victimtosurvivor.org or 448-3180.
• Young stroke survivors between ages 20 to 65 | 11:30 a.m. fourth Friday each month, meeting room, Rotelli’s restaurant, U.S. 501, Conway. 655-2835 or visit www.YoungStroke.org.
LORIS/NORTH MYRTLE BEACH
McLeod Health/Loris/Seacoast sponsors the following events, classes and meetings. The hospital system offers a physician referral line, 716-7527 or online at www.lorishealth.org.
Injury screenings | 8-11 a.m. every Monday, North Myrtle Beach Aquatic and Fitness Center. 360-213-3620 or 281-3737 to schedule an appointment.
Zumba | 6 p.m. Monday and Thursday, Center for Health & Fitness. $5 members and $8 non-members. 716-7111
Yoga | 6:30-7:45 p.m. Mondays and 1-2:15 p.m. Wednesdays through Nov. 28, Brunswick Center,1513 N. Howe St., Suite 1, Southport, N.C. $25/month for one class or $40/month for two classes or $10/drop-in. 910-253-2583.
Weight Loss Program: Why "Weight" Women, Get Healthy Now | 5:30-7:30 p.m. Thursdays through Nov. 29, offered by Brunswick County Parks and Recreation. $65 per person. Pre-registration required, 910-253-2583.
Zumba | 8-9 a.m. Tuesday and Thursday through Dec. 20, Body Dimensions, Shallotte, N.C. $35 month/$10 drop-in. 910-253-2583.
AARP Safe Driver’s course | 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Monday, and Nov. 26, Center for Health & Fitness. $12 members; $14 non-members. 390-8326
Workshop: Loss and the Holidays | 10 a.m.-noon Nov. 5, Seaside United Methodist Church, 1300 Seaside Road SW, Sunset Beach, N.C. or Nov. 6 at SECU Hospice House of Brunswick, 955 Mercy Lane SE, Bolivia, N.C. Grief workshop is free for adults, donations appreciated. Pre-registration required, 910-796-8056 by Nov. 2. Please leave your name, phone number and indicate the specific location you wish to attend.
Safe Sitter course for ages 11 to 13 | 9:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Nov. 6, McLeod Seacoast, Suite 245. $35. 390-8326
AARP Safe Driver’s course | 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Nov. 10, North Myrtle Beach Aquatic & Fitness Center. $12 members; $14 non-members. 390-8326
Lecture: Pre-Diabetes | 5:30-6:30 p.m. Nov. 14, McLeod Seacoast physician lounge. 390-8326 to reserve your seat.
Lecture: Dementia-Losing Pieces to the Puzzle | 7:30-8:30 a.m. Nov. 21, Center for Health & Fitness. 390-8326 to reserve your seat.
• Diabetes | 6:30-7:30 p.m. Nov. 6, North Myrtle Beach Aquatic & Fitness Center. 390-8326