Many of these classes, events and meetings are sponsored by Georgetown Memorial Hospital, but some take place at different locations. Call the numbers listed for more information or visit www.georgetownhospitalsystem.org.
Chronic kidney disease education | Varying schedule, varying locations in Horry and Georgetown counties. Free. 866-647-9396 or ultracare-dialysis.com/TOPS
Health screenings | Tuesdays, mall area, Georgetown Memorial Hospital; Thursdays, front lobby, Waccamaw Community Hospital. Finger-stick lipid profiles with blood sugar test: $20; diabetes screening-hemoglobin A1C: $15; blood sugar levels: $3. Free blood pressure screenings from 7:30 a.m. to noon. 546-0623
Drive-through flu vaccine clinic | $25. Medicare B is accepted and a Medicare card must be presented. 520-8579. Scheduled as follows:
• 7:30 a.m. to noon every Tuesday at Georgetown Memorial Hospital in the mall area of the hospital.
• 7:30 a.m. to noon every Thursday at Waccamaw Community Hospital in the hallway next to Same Day Surgery.
Learn how to shop healthy at supermarket tour | 5:30 p.m. Tuesday, Wal-Mart, 1310 N. Fraser St., Georgetown. Space is limited, 520-8288 to register.
Friends and Family CPR | 6-8 p.m. Monday, Wachesaw Conference Center, 4367 Riverwood Drive, Suite 160, Murrells Inlet. $10 per couple or $5 for individual. Pre-registration required, 520-8490.
Lecture: New Procedure for Spinal Stenosis | noon Wednesday, Room #2, Wachesaw Conference Center, Murrells Inlet. Free. Lunch served. Call 520-7842 to reserve a seat.
Mended Hearts | 6 p.m. Oct. 30, HealthPoint Center for Health Fitness, 12965 Ocean Highway, Pawleys Island. A light meal will be served. 685-3378 or email@example.com or visit website www.mendedhearts.org.
• Young stroke survivors between ages 20 and 65 | 11:30 a.m. third Wednesday each month, first-floor classroom, Waccamaw Hospital or 5:30 p.m. education center, Georgetown Memorial Hospital. 655-2835 or visit YoungStroke.org.
• Bosom Buddies | 6-7 p.m. Monday, Wachesaw Conference Center, 4367 Riverwood Drive, Suite 160, Murrells Inlet. 237-8787
• Alzheimer’s | 10 a.m. Wednesday, Belin Memorial Methodist Church, Murrells Inlet. 651-9711
• Stroke | 3 p.m. Wednesday, fourth-floor dining room, Waccamaw Community Hospital. 652-1875
• Diabetes | 1:30 p.m. Thursday, first-floor classroom, Waccamaw Community Hospital. 652-1281 or 652-1638
Blood drives sponsored by American Red Cross are scheduled as follows. Call 839-4483 or 800-RED-CROSS.
• 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Tuesday, Horry County Complex, 1201 21st Ave. N., Myrtle Beach. 915-5293
• 1-6 p.m. Tuesday, Christ United Methodist Church, 2901 Fantasy Way, Myrtle Beach. 236-6201 ext. 200
• 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Wednesday, City of Myrtle Beach at Pepper Geddings, 3205 N. Oak St., Myrtle Beach. 918-1114
• 9:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Thursday, Horry Georgetown Technical College, 2050 U.S. 501 E., Conway. 477-2062
• 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Oct. 31, Horry County, 1301 Second Ave., Conway. 915-5000
Many of these classes, events and meetings are sponsored by Conway Medical Center, but some take place at the Conway Medical Wellness and Fitness Center. Call the numbers listed for more information or log on to www.conwaymedicalcenter.com.
Obstetrics tour | 2 p.m. Sundays, The Birthplace, Conway Medical Center, 300 Singleton Ridge Road, Conway. 347-8108
Parents Anonymous | 5-7 p.m. every Wednesday, Conway Medical Center. 347-8108
Lecture: Domestic Violence | 7-9 p.m. Thursday, Burroughs and Chapin Auditorium, Horry-Georgetown Technical College, Conway. Free. 349-7878 or Leila.Rogers@hgtc.edu.
Cancer Prevention study | 3-7 p.m. Nov. 8, Conway Medical Center Administrative Building Auditorium, 300 Singleton Ridge Road, Conway. The American Cancer Society will be conducting Prevention Study 3, you need to pre-register by going to www.cps3coastalsc.com. After registering, you will need to complete a survey at home prior to Nov. 8. Free and open to the public.
Many of these classes, events and meetings are sponsored by Grand Strand Regional Medical Center, but some take place at the YMCA on 62nd Avenue North in Myrtle Beach or at HealthFinders in Coastal Grand mall. Call the numbers listed for more information or log on to www.grandstrandmed.com.
Walk-in screenings | 10 a.m. to 7:30 p.m. Monday through Saturday, HealthFinders. $7 for cholesterol screening; $20 for lipid panel; $20 for A1C testing; blood pressure and weight screenings free. A 12-hour fast required for lipid profile. 692-4444
BLS CPR/AED classes | First Aid; Babysitter and Family Care Giving classes and certifications offered weekly by appointment. All instructors are AHA/ARC certified. K-Loc Healthy Kids, Inc., 1435 Cannon Road, Myrtle Beach. Classes available in Georgetown and North Myrtle Beach. Registration required. 467-0068.
Addiction counseling | Narconon. Call for free assessments or referrals, 877-413-3073 or www.drugsno.com.
Nar-Anon family group | 7 p.m. Sundays, Recovery Warehouse, 3116 Shetland Lane, unit 34, Myrtle Beach. 233-9017
Grand Strand Regional Hospital schedules seminars | pre-registration requested, 692-4444. Free seminars scheduled as follows:
• Learn how Radiology Imaging Benefits you | 3-4 p.m. Wednesday, HealthFinders.
• Breast Surgery Options | 6-7 p.m. Wednesday, HealthFinders.
• Breast Cancer Awareness | noon-1 p.m. Oct. 29, HealthFinders. Lunch served. Limited seating.
Flu vaccination clinics | Flu shots are $20 for individuals 16 and over. Parental consent required for ages 16 and 17. No charge for Medicare recipients with a red/white/blue Medicare (Part B) card. 839-9933 or 692-4444. Clinics held on a walk-in basis, no appointments. Scheduled as follows:
• 4-6 p.m. Wednesday, YMCA, 5000 Claire Chapin Epps Drive, Myrtle Beach
• 3-5 p.m. Oct. 30, River Hills Medical Plaza, Little River
Sibling Preparation class for children ages 2-10 | 10-11:30 a.m. Saturday, Grand Strand Regional Medical Center. Free. Pre-registration required, 692-4444.
• Rape Crisis Center | Individual counseling, support group, 24-hour hotline for victims of sexual assault. 448-3180 or 448-7273
• Grief Share | 3-4 p.m. every Wednesday through Nov. 7, National Healthcare Center, 9405 U.S. 17 Bypass, Murrells Inlet. 349-4400
• Non-offending parents of child victims of sexual assault | 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Tuesdays, Conway. Visit www.victimtosurvivor.org or 448-3180.
• Young stroke survivors between ages 20 to 65 | 11:30 a.m. fourth Friday each month, meeting room, Rotelli’s restaurant, U.S. 501, Conway. 655-2835 or visit www.YoungStroke.org.
• Diabetes | 3 p.m. Tuesday, HealthFinders. 692-4444
LORIS/NORTH MYRTLE BEACH
McLeod Health/Loris/Seacoast sponsors the following events, classes and meetings. The hospital system offers a physician referral line, 716-7527 or online at www.lorishealth.org.
Injury screenings | 5-8 p.m. every Monday, North Myrtle Beach Aquatic and Fitness Center. 360-213-3620 or 281-3737 to schedule an appointment.
Zumba | 6 p.m. Monday and Thursday, Center for Health & Fitness. $5 members and $8 non-members. 716-7111
Child safety seat check | 3-6 p.m. Tuesday, Kohl’s parking lot, 8646 U.S. 17 Bypass, Myrtle Beach. 777-5021
Yoga | 6:30-7:45 p.m. Mondays and 1-2:15 p.m. Wednesdays through Nov. 28, Brunswick Center,1513 N. Howe St., Suite 1, Southport, N.C. $25/month for one class or $40/month for two classes or $10/drop-in. 910-253-2583.
Weight Loss Program: Why "Weight" Women, Get Healthy Now | 5:30-7:30 p.m. Thursdays through Nov. 29, offered by Brunswick County Parks and Recreation. $65 per person. Pre-registration required, 910-253-2583.
Zumba | 8-9 a.m. Tuesday and Thursday through Dec. 20, Body Dimensions, Shallotte, N.C. $35 month/$10 drop-in. 910-253-2583.
Seminar: Erectile Dysfunction and Urinary Incontinence | 6:30 p.m. Thursday, Center for Health & Fitness. 390-8326
AARP Safe Driver’s course | 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Oct. 29, Center for Health & Fitness. $12 members; $14 non-members. 390-8326
Workshop: Loss and the Holidays | 10 a.m.-noon Nov. 5, Seaside United Methodist Church, 1300 Seaside Road SW, Sunset Beach, N.C. or Nov. 6 at SECU Hospice House of Brunswick, 955 Mercy Lane SE, Bolivia, N.C. Grief workshop is free for adults, donations appreciated. Pre-registration required, 910-796-8056 by Nov. 2. Please leave your name, phone number and indicate the specific location you wish to attend.
Safe Sitter course for ages 11 to 13 | 9:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Nov. 6, McLeod Seacoast, Suite 245. $35. 390-8326
• Diabetes | 10 a.m. Friday, McLeod Seacoast Cafe. 716-7736
• Diabetes | 6:30-7:30 p.m. Nov. 6, North Myrtle Beach Aquatic & Fitness Center. 390-8326