MYRTLE BEACH St. James used strong serves and rallied to pick up a Region VII-AAA win over Myrtle Beach on Thursday night.
The Sharks (7-8, 6-2) dropped the first set 26-24 but responded well by winning three straight for the victory 25-12, 25-15, 25-19.
“It was awesome because we are fighting for second, third and fourth place right now,” St. James coach Lindsay Mayer said of the win, “so we just jumped up to second.”
Hayley and Courtney Settle both had 13 service points to lead the Sharks, Katie Cook added 12 and Kelly Williams had 11. Hayley Settle also added seven kills and Courtney Settle had six kills.
“The consistent serving made a difference in the game,” Mayer said of getting the victory. “After coming off that first loss, they [St. James] turned it on, picked it up and refused to lost. They played like a team.”
High school volleyball
• (At) North Myrtle Beach 3, Wilson 0 | The Chiefs remained perfect in Region VII-AAA play with a 25-9, 25-6, 25-3 win over Wilson. With the win, North Myrtle Beach improved to 21-1 overall and 8-0 in its region.
Taylor Allman led the Chiefs with 12 kills, Lauren Linta led the way 26 service points and had seven aces and Tara Hix had 22 assists.
• Aynor 3, (at) Marion 0 | The Blue Jackets improved to 11-2 on the season with a 25-7, 25-15, 25-15 win over the Swamp Foxes.
“They’re doing great,” Aynor coach Nicki Batson said. “I’m proud of their work ethic. They do everything we ask them to do.”
Grayson Grainger led the Blue Jackets with six aces and added seven kills, Katie Altman led the way with 10 kills and Shelby Culler had 18 assists.
“They have a lot of heart and you don’t get that every year,” Batson said of her team. “Its pretty awesome to coach girls like that.”
• Socastee 3, (at) Georgetown 0 | Dale Rogers and Annamarie Guest led the Braves past the Bulldogs 25-16, 25-19, 25-18 in a Region VII-AAA win. Rogers led Socastee (8-5, 6-2) with 14 kills and Guest added 11.
Nicole Currall had five aces, Alison Markley had nine assists, four kills and four aces and Katherine Hall had 18 assists for Socastee.
• Myrtle Beach Christian Academy 3, Trinty Byrnes 0 | The Saints claimed the SCISA A Region 4 title with a 3-0 win (25-13, 25-22, 25-18)
against Trinity Byrnes. With the win, Myrtle Beach Christian improved to 13-1 overall and 3-0 in its region.
“It feels awesome,” Saints coach Alex Sing said. “It’s definitely a step towards our goals at the beginning of the season. We aren’t done yet, we are looking forward to the playoffs.”
Rebekah Bowers led the Saints with 13 kills and Mackenzie Pearson added seven and Claudia Markley led the team with 22 assists.
• (At) Conway 3, South Florence 1 | The Tigers win at home, defeating region rival South Florence 3-1 (25-16, 21-25, 25-8, 25-14). After stumbling in set 2, Conway jumped out to an 8-0 lead behind the serve of Ryley Hughes.
“Our serving came up big for us,” Conway coach Tricia Junga said. “Ryley [Hughes] and Kerry [Elms] were very strong from the service line and we were able to neutralize the offense of South Florence.”
Kerry Elms continued the strong serving to close out set 3 with a 10 point service run, including 7 of her aces. Conway continued to dominate from the service line in set 4, closing out the match behind a 6 point service run from Elms.
Leaders–Conway: Ryley Hughes 21 assists, 7 aces, 16 service points; Bridgette Harper 8 kills; Kailey Williams 7 kills, 2 blocks; Kerry Elms 8 aces, 4 kills, 19 service points.
Records–Conway: (8-4, 4-1)
High school cross country
• (At) Green Sea Floyds 15, Loris 64, Carvers Bay 69 | Green Sea Floyds’ girls cross country team picked up the win over Loris and Cervers Bay, securing a perfect score of 15 for the second week in a row.
Top 5 Runners
Brooke Elliott (GSF) 23.10, 2. Hannah Page (GSF) 23.18, 3. Nadia Howell (GSF) 24.10, 4. Katia Howell (GSF) 24.15, 5. Arismel Perez (GSF) 24.16.
• Loris 24, Green Sea Floyds 38, Carvers Bay 69 | Loris finished three in the top five, scoring 24 over Green Sea Floyds and Carvers Bay.
Top 5 Runners
1. Austin Ganous (L) 19.19, 2. Scottie Bruton (L) 19.50, 3. Angel Jimes (GSF) 19.56, 4. Alfredo Vasquez (GSF) 20.58, 5. Seth Archibald (L) 21.24.
High school girls golf
• St. James 189, Socastee 210, Conway 234 | Alexa Falvey shot just five over par, helping the Sharks to a win over Socastee and Conway at Prestwick.
St. James 189 – Alexa Falvey 41, Kelli Smith 49, Steely Hays 49, Morgan Stanchak 50.
Socastee 210 – Collee Muirhead 49, Kelly Daniel 51, Megan Dresser 54, Lawson Devers 56.
Conway 234 – Emily McClellan 52, Maggie Harper 56, Ashlyn Hardwick 61, Katelyn Altman 65.
Course –Prestwick . Par –36 .
High school girls tennis
• (At) Aynor 7, Marion 0 | Aynor swept Marion, winning seven of seven matches. the win puts the Blue Jackets at 6-1 in the region.
Singles – Anna Dusenbury (A) d. Laquasha Williams 6-1, 6-1; Heleana Toth (A) d. Caroline Wilson 6-4, 6-4; Kathryn Johnson (A) d. Jada Robertson 6-1, 6-1; Mattie Hucks (A) d. Kerri Vyge 6-3, 6-0; Amelia Evans (A) d. Rushali Pulukuri 6-3, 6-1.
Doubles – Dusenbury/Toth (A) d. Williams/Wilson 8-3; Kelly Floyd/Shelley Baker (A) d. Erin Davis/Kneshia Williamson 6-0, 6-0.
Records–Aynor: (9-3, 6-1)
• Myrtle Beach Christian Academy 6, (at) St. James 1 | The Sharks fall to the visiting Saints, losing all but one match. St. James moves to 2-7 overall.
Singles – Tatiana Harrelson (M) d. Jorden Greene 4-6, 6-3, 10-6; Grace Houghton (M) d. Taylor Seagle 6-3, 2-6, 10-8; Miller Guyton (M) d. Bailee Hunt 6-4, 2-6, 10-2; Hailey Hunter (S) d. Chloe Parker 6-3, 6-3; Greer Houghton (M) d. Katrina Gallo 6-0, 6-1.
Doubles – Harrelson/Houghton (M) d. Greene/Seagle 8-1; Jade Cooper/Erylea Lint (M) d. Chelsie Lewis/Lauren Floyd 8-2.
Records – St .James: (2-7, 0-2).
CCU Women’s soccer
• RADFORD, Va. The Chanticleers fell to first-place Radford 2-0 in Big South Conference play.
The loss snaps a two-game win streak for Coastal, who dropped to 5-7-0 overall and 2-3-0 in the Big South.