Horry County murder suspect caught in Myrtle Beach

akelley@thesunnews.comOctober 2, 2012 

The third suspect in the murder of a 20-year-old Myrtle Beach man was arrested Tuesday, nearly four months after the fatal shooting in Horry County.

Charles Johnson was located by U.S. Marshals at a hotel at on Ocean Boulevard at 11th Avenue South in Myrtle Beach, said Sgt. Robert Kegler spokesman for Horry County Police.

Johnson is the third and final suspect in the fatal shooting on June 8, Kegler said.

Johnson, 22, of Conway, was booked into J. Reuben Long Detention Center at 2:15 p.m. Tuesday on charges of murder, simple possession of marijuana and malicious damage to real property with a value between $1,000 to $5,000, according to jail records. Bond has not been set for Johnson.

Jose Gutierez was pronounced dead at Conway Medical Center. He suffered from at least one gun shot wound.

Two men have already been charged with murder in the shooting.

Shelton Lathal Butler Jr., 21, of Conway was arrested in a wooded area on Lucas Bay Road on June 19 by Horry County Police and the U.S. Marshals. Butler is charged with murder and parole violation and was released from J. Reuben Long Detention Center on July 18 on $30,000 bond.

Donavon Curtis Johnson, 19, of Conway, was found hiding in a closet at a Conway area apartment on Sept. 13, a day after he had escaped police custody. Johnson, who is accused in two other shootings in the city of Conway, is charged with murder in Gutierez’s death.

On Sept. 12, he was taken into custody by Conway police who responded to shots fired in the city and found him hiding behind shrubbery. Conway police said he jumped a fence and ran away, but was found and arrested behind a home on Wright Boulevard the same day. He was questioned at a satellite station, but escaped when officers tried to put him in a patrol car for transport to J. Reuben Long Detention Center where he now remains jailed. He faces multiple additional charges, including attempted murder, kidnapping, resisting arrest, assaulting a police officer while resisting arrest, first degree burglary, petty larceny and weapon violations.

Horry County police were called Ronald McNair Boulevard in the River Oaks area near the Carolina Bays Parkway overpass for a report of gunshots being fired in the area about 8:30 p.m. on June 8. The caller told dispatchers that a man had been shot and several women put him in a vehicle and drove away.

At the crime scene, police found blood, a cell phone and shoe in the street, according to an incident report. A witness told police that she was inside her house and heard what sounded like gunshots, and then a man left the scene on one vehicle while Gutierez and the women left in another.

The women, according to police, took Gutierez to the hospital where they were interviewed by officers.

Contact AMANDA KELLEY at 626-0381.

Myrtle Beach Sun News is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service