Many of these classes, events and meetings are sponsored by Georgetown Memorial Hospital, but some take place at different locations. Call the numbers listed for more information or visit www.georgetownhospitalsystem.org.
Chronic kidney disease education | Varying schedule, varying locations in Horry and Georgetown counties. Free. 866-647-9396 or ultracare-dialysis.com/TOPS
Health screenings | Tuesdays, mall area, Georgetown Memorial Hospital; Thursdays, front lobby, Waccamaw Community Hospital. Finger-stick lipid profiles with blood sugar test: $20; diabetes screening-hemoglobin A1C: $15; blood sugar levels: $3. Free blood pressure screenings from 7:30 a.m. to noon. 546-0623
Seminar: Obesity surgery | 6:30 p.m. Thursday, Wachesaw Conference Center, 4367 Riverwood Drive, Suite 160, Murrells Inlet. 545-8850 to register.
Obstetrics tour | 6 p.m. Thursday, Waccamaw Community Hospital. Pre-registration required, 520-8490.
Seventh annual In the Pink Breast Cancer Awareness Walk and Duck-A-Palooza | 10 a.m. Saturday, the two-mile walk will begin and end at the Imaging Center at Waccamaw Medical Park East on U.S. 17 Bypass in Murrells Inlet. Participants can register online at www.georgetownhospitalsystem.org/breastcancerwalk or the day of the walk at 9 a.m. at the Imaging Center. 652-8080
Prepared Childbirth class | 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Saturday, first-floor classroom, Waccamaw Community Hospital. $50. Pre-registration required, 520-8490.
Handle with Care-Baby Care class | 6-8 p.m. Oct. 8, Waccamaw Community Hospital. Free. Pre-registration required, 520-8490.
Community Health BLS-CPR | 6-9 p.m. Oct. 9, Wachesaw Conference Center. $35. Pre-registration required, 520-8490.
Lecture: Treatment Options for Arthritis of the Hip and Knee | noon, Oct. 10, HealthPoint Center for Health and Fitness, 12965 Ocean Highway, Pawleys Island. Lunch served. 520-7842 to reserve a seat.
I Can Cope Education series | 5:30-7:30 p.m. Oct. 10, Waccamaw Community Hospital. Free. Pre-registration required, 652-1640.
Sibling Preparation class | 10-11:30 a.m. Oct. 13, education center, Georgetown Memorial Hospital campus. Free. Pre-registration required, 520-8490.
Breastfeeding class | 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Oct. 13, education center, Georgetown Memorial Hospital campus. Free. Pre-registration required, 520-8490.
• Young stroke survivors between ages 20 and 65 | 11:30 a.m. third Wednesday each month, first-floor classroom, Waccamaw Hospital or 5:30 p.m. education center, Georgetown Memorial Hospital. 655-2835 or visit YoungStroke.org.
• Alzheimer’s | noon Monday, Prince George Episcopal Church. 237-2845
• Obesity surgery | 6:30 p.m. Thursday, Wachesaw Conference Center, 4367 Riverwood Drive, Suite 160, Murrells Inlet. 545-8850 to register.
• Alzheimer’s | 10 a.m. Oct. 10 and 24, Belin Memorial Methodist Church, Murrells Inlet. 651-9711
• Stroke | 3 p.m. Oct. 10 and 24, fourth-floor dining room, Waccamaw Community Hospital. 652-1875
• Parkinson’s | 7 p.m. Oct. 11, Timber Lake Baptist Church, S.C. 707. 650-8756
Blood drives sponsored by American Red Cross are scheduled as follows. Call 839-4483 or (800) RED CROSS.
• 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Wednesday, JB Beck Administration and Education Center, Georgetown. 436-7175
• 9 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Thursday, CE Murray High School, 222 CE Murray Blvd., Greeleyville. 426-2121
• 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Friday, Georgetown Memorial Hospital, 606 Black River Road, Georgetown. 527-7173
• noon to 6 p.m. Oct. 9, King of Glory Lutheran Church, 805 11th Ave. N., North Myrtle Beach. 249-6569
• 10:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Oct. 10, Waccamaw Elementary School, 251 Claridy Road, Conway. 347-4684 ext. 2302
Many of these classes, events and meetings are sponsored by Conway Medical Center, but some take place at the Conway Medical Wellness and Fitness Center. Call the numbers listed for more information or log on to www.conwaymedicalcenter.com.
Obstetrics tour | 2 p.m. Sundays, The Birthplace, Conway Medical Center, 300 Singleton Ridge Road, Conway. 347-8108
Parents Anonymous | 5-7 p.m. every Wednesday, Conway Medical Center. 347-8108
Lecture: Domestic Violence | 7-9 p.m. Oct. 11, 18 and 25, Burroughs and Chapin Auditorium, Horry-Georgetown Technical College, Conway. Free. 349-7878 or Leila.Rogers@hgtc.edu.
Many of these classes, events and meetings are sponsored by Grand Strand Regional Medical Center, but some take place at the YMCA on 62nd Avenue North in Myrtle Beach or at HealthFinders in Coastal Grand mall. Call the numbers listed for more information or log on to www.grandstrandmed.com.
Walk-in screenings | 10 a.m. to 7:30 p.m. Monday through Saturday, HealthFinders. $7 for cholesterol screening; $20 for lipid panel; $20 for A1C testing; blood pressure and weight screenings free. A 12-hour fast required for lipid profile. 692-4444
BLS CPR/AED classes | First Aid; Babysitter and Family Care Giving classes and certifications offered weekly by appointment. All instructors are AHA/ARC certified. K-Loc Healthy Kids, Inc., 1435 Cannon Road, Myrtle Beach. Classes available in Georgetown and North Myrtle Beach. Registration required. 467-0068.
Addiction counseling | Narconon. Call for free assessments or referrals, 877-413-3073 or www.drugsno.com.
Nar-Anon family group | 7 p.m. Sundays, Recovery Warehouse, 3116 Shetland Lane, unit 34, Myrtle Beach. 233-9017
Advocate Training for Rape Crisis Center | 5:30-9 p.m. Monday through Thursday. 448-3180 or website www.victimtosurvivor.org.
Prepared Childbirth course | 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday, Grand Strand Regional Medical Center. $50. 692-4444
Three-Week Prepared Childbirth course | 7 p.m. Oct. 8, 15 and 22. $50. Grand Strand Regional Medical Center. $50. 692-4444
Red Cross Rescue Racers Public Information meeting | 6 p.m. Oct. 16, American Red Cross, 3531 Pampas Drive, Myrtle Beach. Free. 650-0145
• Rape Crisis Center | Individual counseling, support group, 24-hour hotline for victims of sexual assault. 448-3180 or 448-7273
• Grief Share | 3:30 every other Tuesday, National Healthcare Center, 9405 U.S. 17 Bypass, Murrells Inlet. 349-4400
• Non-offending parents of child victims of sexual assault | 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Tuesdays, Conway. Visit www.victimtosurvivor.org or 448-3180.
• Young stroke survivors between ages 20 to 65 | 11:30 a.m. fourth Friday each month, meeting room, Rotelli’s restaurant, U.S. 501, Conway. 655-2835 or visit YoungStroke.org.
• Mended Hearts | 11:30 a.m. Oct. 8, Grand Strand Regional Medical Center, Cardiac Rehabilitation Center. 692-4444
• Prostate | 6 p.m. Oct 10, HealthFinders. 692-4444
• Epilepsy | 4 p.m. Oct 13, HealthFinders. 692-4444
LORIS/NORTH MYRTLE BEACH
McLeod Health/Loris/Seacoast sponsors the following events, classes and meetings. The hospital system offers a physician referral line, 716-7527 or online at www.lorishealth.org.
Injury screenings | 5-8 p.m. every Monday, North Myrtle Beach Aquatic and Fitness Center. 360-213-3620 or 281-3737 to schedule an appointment.
Zumba | 6 p.m. Monday and Thursday, Center for Health & Fitness. $5 members and $8 non-members. 716-7111
Yoga | 6:30-7:45 p.m. Mondays and 1-2:15 p.m. Wednesdays through Nov. 28, Brunswick Center,1513 N. Howe St., Suite 1, Southport, N.C. $25/month for one class or $40/month for two classes or $10/drop-in. 910-253-2583.
Weight Loss Program: Why "Weight" Women, Get Healthy Now | 5:30-7:30 p.m. Thursdays through Nov. 29, offered by Brunswick County Parks and Recreation. $65 per person. Pre-registration required, 910-253-2583.
Zumba | 8-9 a.m. Tuesday and Thursday through Dec. 20, Body Dimensions, Shallotte, N.C. $35 month/$10 drop-in. 910-253-2583.
Lecture: Carpal Tunnel Syndrome | 5:30 p.m. Oct. 10, McLeod Seacoast. Light refreshments served. 390-8326
2012 Waccamaw Area Heart Walk | 9 a.m. registration, 10 a.m. walk begins, Oct. 13, Market Commons, Myrtle Beach, 390-8326
Lecture: The Hype about Hypertension | 7:30 a.m.Oct. 17, Center for Health and Fitness. Light refreshments served. 390-8326
Blood drive | noon to 6 p.m. Oct. 18, Center for Health & Fitness. 390-8326
Seminar: Erectile Dysfunction and Urinary Incontinence | 6:30 p.m. Oct. 25, Center for Health & Fitness. 390-8326
AARP Safe Driver’s course | 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.Oct. 29, Center for Health & Fitness. $12 members; $14 non-members. 390-8326
• Fibromyalgia and Arthritis | 11 a.m. Wednesday, North Myrtle Beach Aquatic & Fitness Center. 390-3826
• North Strand Ostomy Association | 2 p.m. Sunday, McLeod Seacoast Cafe. 716-7197
• Multiple Sclerosis | 6 p.m. Oct. 9, Center for Health & Fitness. 390-8326
• Diabetes | 10 a.m. Oct. 26, McLeod Seacoast Cafe. 716-7736.