SKOKIE, Ill. — Coastal Carolina sophomore Ben Wheeler shot a 2-under 69 in the final round to place runner-up, one stroke off the lead, while Sebastian Soderberg tied for fifth to lead the Chanticleers to a third-place finish Monday in the 15-team field at the annual Windon Memorial.
Coastal finished third after shooting a 16-over par 300 over its final 18 holes. The Chants finished with a three-round total of 884 (294-290-300), three strokes off the winning score of 881 posted by Ohio State. The Buckeyes turned in a 5-over 289 – the best final round in the field by four strokes – for a 54-hole total of 881, one stroke better than host and runner-up Northwestern (882).
High school girls tennis
• (At) Aynor 7, Mullins 0 | The Blue Jackets shut out Mullins to improve to 6-2.
Singles – Gentry Johnston (AYN) d. Kelly Elliott 6-0, 6-0; Anna Dusenbury (AYN) d. Anna Jackson 6-0, 6-0; Heleana Toth (AYN) d. Jessica Chavez 6-0, 6-0; Katheryn Johnson (AYN) d. Zhane Eaddy 6-0, 6-0; Mattie Hucks (AYN) d. Anae Gause 6-1, 6-0.
Doubles – Amelia Evans/Kelly Floyd (AYN) d. Elliott/Jackson 8-2; Shelley Baker/Sarah Grace Evans (AYN) d. Helencia Page/Serenity Hunt 6-1, 6-1.
Records – Aynor 6-2, 3-1; Mullins N/A.
High school girls golf
• St. James 175, (at) Conway 212 | Alexa Falvey shot an even-par 36 to lead the Sharks past the Tigers at Conway Country Club.
• ST. JAMES – Alexa Falvey 36, Steely Hayes 46, Kelly Smith 45, Jordan White 48
• CONWAY – Maggie Harper 47, Emily McClellan 51, Ashley Hardwick 54, Katelyn Altman 60
• Carolina Forest 177, (at) North Myrtle Beach 183 | Lia Farrar shot a 4-over 40 to lead the Panthers over the Chiefs at Eagle Nest. Carolina Forest moves to 8-0 and North Myrtle Beach drops to 4-2 .
• CAROLINA FOREST – Lia Farrar 40, Jamie Karl 44, Sami Spencer 46, Elizabeth Snyder-Mounds 47
• NORTH MYRTLE BEACH – Madison Elliott 41, Erin Hershelman 46, Eleana Long 47, Kyle Chandler 49
• Myrtle Beach 203, (at) Socastee 121 | Colee Muirhead earned earned medalist honors with a 6-over 42, but the Braves fell short against the Seahawks at Prestwick Country Club.
• MYRTLE BEACH – Cameron Crutchfield 45, Jasmine Chestnut 45, Miranda Russell 50, Bailey Richards 63
• SOCASTEE – Colee Muirhead 42, Kelly Daniel 51, Lawson Devers 55, Kelsey Gammon 64
High school volleyball
• Christian Academy of Myrtle Beach 3, Kings Academy 0 | The Saints improved to 10-1 overall and 2-0 in the region with a 25-8, 25-8, 25-13 win at Kings Academy in Florence.
The Saints had 15 aces in the match led by Caroline Gore with five and Mary Chandler Butler with four. Rebekah Bowers led in kills with nine, followed by Mackenzie Pearson and Mary Chandler Butler with seven each. Claudia Markley had 18 assists.