SOCASTEE — Freshman Dale Rodgers was 23-for-26 serving with 20 aces – with 13 in a row at one point – to lead the Socastee volleyball team to a 3-0 (25-14, 25-12, 25-4) win over Georgetown on Tuesday.
Rodgers also added nine kills, junior AnnaMarie Guest went 9-for-10 serving with three aces, nine kills and one block, and junior Katherine Hall was 14-for-14 serving with three aces and had 12 assists for Socastee (4-5, 2-1). Braves senior Alison Markley added 14 assists, two kills and two aces.
High school volleyball
• (At) North Myrtle Beach 3, Wilson 0 | Taylor Allman had 10 kills as the Chiefs shut out the Tigers 25-2, 25-5, 25-11.
Tara Hicks had five aces and Ellen Johnson had six kills for North Myrtle Beach (8-0, 3-0).
• (At) Aynor 3, Marion 0 | The Blue Jackets shut out the Swamp Foxes 25-16, 25-11, 25-4. Rielle Vanorsdale led Aynor with 11 aces and nine kills. Shelby Culler added six aces, and Grayson Grainger had eight kills for the Blue Jackets.
• (At) Myrtle Beach Christian Academy 3, Trinity-Byrnes 0 | Rebekah Bowers had 10 kills, Mackenzie Pearson added nine and Mary Chandler Butler had eight as the Saints cruised to a 25-21, 25-3, 25-12 win.
Myrtle Beach Christian Academy (8-1) had 14 aces as a team, and Claudia Markley had 27 assists.
High school boys cross country
• (At) Myrtle Beach 15, Socastee 50 | The Seahawks dominated the Braves as the top five finishers were all from Myrtle Beach.
Top 5: 1. Ethan Epstein (MB) 18:48, 2. Mehrzad Namir (MB) 19:52, 3. Nick Silvestri (MB) 20:01, 4. Brooks Swanson (MB) 20:12, 5. Jimmy Recinos (MB) 20:38
High school girls cross country
• (At) Myrtle Beach 16, Socastee 47 | The Seahawks had the top four finishes en route to a victory over the Braves.
Top 5: 1. Madison Tilford (MB) 22:38, 2. Kailey Flannely (MB) 23:44, 3. Mary Beth Hervig (MB) 24:15, 4. Shakiyra Peeples (MB) 24:54, 5. Julia Koss (SOC) 26:24
High school girls golf
• (At) Waccamaw 221, Georgetown 222 | Stephanie Royer shot 6-over 42 to earn medalist honors and lead the Warriors (3-2) to a victory.
• WACCAMAW – Stephanie Royer 42, Connor Graham 52, Daniella Royer 54, Martha Henry 63, Sarah Ball 72
• GEORGETOWN – Hannah Fefterman 47, Ashley Pender 58, Blakely Graham 58, Lauren Owens 59, Elizabeth Roberts 61
CCU men’s soccer
• Coastal Carolina defender Uchenna Uzo was named the Big South Conference Defensive Soccer Player of the Week on Tuesday.
Uzo joins goalkeeper Scott Shewfelt as the second Chanticleer to earn the honor this season.
• Coastal Carolina senior men’s soccer standout Ashton Bennett is one of 30 candidates selected nationwide for the Senior CLASS Award, Premier Sports Management announced Tuesday.
An acronym for Celebrating Loyalty and Achievement for Staying in School, the annual award focuses on the total student-athlete and encourages students to use their platform in athletics to make a positive impact as leaders in their communities. To be eligible, a student-athlete must be classified as an NCAA Division I senior and have notable achievements in four areas of excellence – classroom, character, community and competition.
• Coming off a Big South Tournament championship season and an NCAA regional appearance, the Coastal Carolina softball team will play 30 home games and host three tournaments in 2013, highlighting the schedule released Tuesday.
The Chants will host the The Kickin’ Chicken Classic (Feb. 22-24), Coastal Carolina Invitational (March 1-3) and Chanticleer Challenge (March 8-10) all at Grand Park Sports Complex in Myrtle Beach. With CCU Softball Field undergoing renovations, Coastal’s home games will be played at Carolina Forest High School.