Many of these classes, events and meetings are sponsored by Georgetown Memorial Hospital, but some take place at different locations. Call the numbers listed for more information or visit www.georgetownhospitalsystem.org.
Chronic kidney disease education | Varying schedule, varying locations in Horry and Georgetown counties. Free. (866) 647-9396 or ultracare-dialysis.com/TOPS
Health screenings | Tuesdays, mall area, Georgetown Memorial Hospital; Thursdays, front lobby, Waccamaw Community Hospital. Finger-stick lipid profiles with blood sugar test: $20; diabetes screening-hemoglobin A1C: $15; blood sugar levels: $3. Free blood pressure screenings from 7:30 a.m. to noon. 546-0623
Car Seat Safety class | 6-8 p.m. Tuesday, Wachesaw Conference Center, 4367 Riverwood Drive, Suite 160, Murrells Inlet. Free. Pre-registration required, 520-8490.
Lecture: Treatments for Hip, Knee Arthritis| noon Tuesday, at Grande Dunes Marina Inn. Lunch provided. Free. Reservations can be made online at www.georgetownhospitalsystem.org/physicianlectures or 520-7842.
Learn how to shop healthy at supermarket tours | 5:30 p.m. Thursday, Food Lion, U.S. 17, Pawleys Island and noon Sept. 25, Kroger, 2939 U.S. 17, Garden City Beach. Free supermarket tours led by Georgetown Hospital System dietitians. 520-8288 to register.
Breastfeeding class | 6-8 p.m. Thursday, Waccamaw Community Hospital. Free. Pre-registration, 520-8490.
Prepared Childbirth class | 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Saturday, education center, Georgetown Memorial Hospital. $50. Pre-registration required, 520-8490.
Pediatric First-Aid | 6-10 p.m. Sept. 25, education center, Georgetown Memorial Hospital. $20. Pre-registration required, 520-8490.
Friends and Family CPR | 6-8 p.m. Sept. 27, Wachesaw Conference Center, 4367 Riverwood Drive, Suite 160, Murrells Inlet. $10 per couple or $5 for individual. Pre-registration required, 520-8490.
Seventh annual in the Pink Breast Cancer Awareness Walk and Duck-A-Palooza | 10 a.m. Oct 6., the two-mile walk will begin and end at the Imaging Center at Waccamaw Medical Park East on U.S. 17 Bypass in Murrells Inlet. Participants can register online at www.georgetownhospitalsystem.org/breastcancerwalk or the day of the walk at 9 a.m. at the Imaging Center. 652-8080
• Young stroke survivors between ages 20 and 65 | 11:30 a.m. third Wednesday each month, first-floor classroom, Waccamaw Hospital or 5:30 p.m. education center, Georgetown Memorial Hospital. 655-2835 or visit YoungStroke.org.
• Heart Failure Education | 1-2:30 p.m. Monday, 2 East Conference Room, Waccamaw Community Hospital. 652-1624
• Amputee | 1 p.m. Wednesday, fourth-floor dining room, Waccamaw Community Hospital. 652-1839
• Bosom Buddies | 6-7 p.m.Sept. 24, Wachesaw Conference Center, 4367 Riverwood Drive, Suite 160, Murrells Inlet. 237-8787.
• Diabetes | 1:30 p.m. Sept. 27, first-floor classroom, Waccamaw Community Hospital. 652-1281 or 652-1638.
Blood drives sponsored by American Red Cross are scheduled as follows. Call 839-4483 or (800) RED CROSS.
• 1-6 p.m. Monday,Carolina Forest Community Church, 1381 Carolina Forest Blvd., Myrtle Beach. 903-1558
• 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. Tuesday, Santee Cooper, 305A Gardener Lacy Road, Myrtle Beach. 347-3399 ext. 3119
• 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. Wednesday and Thursday, St. John the Baptist Greek Orthodox Church, 3301 33rd Ave. Ext. N., Myrtle Beach. 1-800 RED CROSS to schedule an appointment.
• 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday, Wal-Mart, 550 U.S. 17 N., North Myrtle Beach. 281-8352 ext. 190
• 8:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Sept. 26, City of North Myrtle Beach, 1018 Second Ave. S., 280-5575
• 8:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Sept. 26, Surfside Civic Center, 115 U.S. 17 N., 650-9548
• 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Sept. 27, City of North Myrtle Beach, 1018 Second Ave. S., 280-5575
• noon to 5 p.m.Sept. 27, St. Peter’s Lutheran Church, 65 Crooked Oak Drive, Pawleys Island. 237-2795
• noon to 5 p.m. Sept. 27, North Myrtle Beach Primary, 901 11th Ave. N., 251-3565
Many of these classes, events and meetings are sponsored by Conway Medical Center, but some take place at the Conway Medical Wellness and Fitness Center. Call the numbers listed for more information or log on to www.conwaymedicalcenter.com.
Freshstart smoking cessation | 5 p.m. Monday and Tuesday and Sept. 24 and 25, Conway Medical Wellness & Fitness Center, 2369 Cypress Circle, Conway. Free. 347-1515.
Weight Loss workshop | 7 p.m. Sept. 24, Conway Medical Wellness & Fitness Center, 2369 Cypress Circle, Conway. $15 members and $20 non-members. 347-1515
Obstetrics tour | 2 p.m. Sundays, The Birthplace, Conway Medical Center, 300 Singleton Ridge Road, Conway. 347-8108
Parents Anonymous | 5-7 p.m. every Wednesday, Conway Medical Center. 347-8108.
Many of these classes, events and meetings are sponsored by Grand Strand Regional Medical Center, but some take place at the YMCA on 62nd Avenue North in Myrtle Beach or at HealthFinders in Coastal Grand mall. Call the numbers listed for more information or log on to www.grandstrandmed.com.
Walk-in screenings | 10 a.m. to 7:30 p.m. Monday through Saturday, HealthFinders. $7 for cholesterol screening; $20 for lipid panel; $20 for A1C testing; blood pressure and weight screenings free. A 12-hour fast required for lipid profile. 692-4444
BLS CPR/AED classes | 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays, K-Loc Healthy Kids, Inc., 1700 N. Oak St., Myrtle Beach. Registration required. 467-0068.
Addiction counseling | Narconon. Call for free assessments or referrals, (877) 413-3073 or www.drugsno.com.
Nar-Anon family group | 7 p.m. Sundays, Recovery Warehouse, 3116 Shetland Lane, unit 34, Myrtle Beach. 233-9017
Look Good, Feel Better | 2-4 p.m. Monday, Carolina Regional Cancer Center, 4708 Oleander Drive, Myrtle Beach. Free. Registration required, 449-9415 ext. 325 or 251-6476.
Prostate screenings | 6-7:30 p.m. Monday, South Strand Primary Care, Myrtle Beach; Tuesday, Atlantic Urology Clinics, Myrtle Beach; Wednesday, Grand Strand Senior Health, Carolina Forest, Myrtle Beach; Thursday, Grand Strand Senior Health, North Strand, Little River. $20. Pre-registration required, 692-4444.
Sibling Preparation class for children ages 2 to 10 | 10-11:30 a.m. Saturday, Grand Strand Regional Medical Center. Free. 692-4444 to register.
Infant/Child CPR | 1-4 p.m. Saturday, HealthFinders. $15/person. 692-4444 to register.
Orthopedic free screening clinic, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday, Myrtle Beach Area Chamber of Commerce parking lot at 1200 N. Oak St., Myrtle Beach. The Greenville unit of the Shriner’s Hospital will be screening children from birth to age 18 for orthopedic conditions that may require monitoring or treatment. Free DNA kits will be issued.
Careteam AIDS Walk and Health Fair | 9:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Sept. 29, Plyler Park on the corner of North Ocean Boulevard and 11th Avenue North, Myrtle Beach. Free, donations accepted. 236-9000.
Advocate Training for Rape Crisis Center | 5:30-9 p.m. Oct. 1 to Oct. 4. 448-3180 or website www.victimtosurvivor.org.
• Rape Crisis Center | Individual counseling, support group, 24-hour hotline for victims of sexual assault. 448-3180 or 448-7273
• Grief Share | 3:30 every other Tuesday, National Healthcare Center, 9405 U.S. 17 Bypass, Murrells Inlet. 349-4400
• Non-offending parents of child victims of sexual assault | 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Tuesdays, Conway. Visit www.victimtosurvivor.org or 448-3180.
• Young stroke survivors between ages 20 to 65 | 11:30 a.m. fourth Friday each month, meeting room, Rotelli’s restaurant, U.S. 501, Conway. 655-2835 or visit YoungStroke.org.
• Grief | 1:30 p.m. Tuesday, HealthFinders. 692-4444
• Stroke | 2 p.m. Tuesday, Grand Strand Senior Health, Carolina Forest. 692-4444
• Thyroid Cancer | 6 p.m. Tuesday, HealthFinders. 692-4444
• Celia | 6:30 p.m. Tuesday, Cafe A, Grand Strand Regional Medical Center. 692-4444
• Grand Strand Breathers | 3 p.m. Thursday, Cardiac Rehabilitation Center, Grand Strand Regional Medical Center. 692-4444
• Diabetes | 3 p.m. Sept. 25, HealthFinders. 692-4444
LORIS/NORTH MYRTLE BEACH
McLeod Health/Loris/Seacoast sponsors the following events, classes and meetings. The hospital system offers a physician referral line, 716-7527 or online at www.lorishealth.org.
Injury screenings | 5-8 p.m. every Monday, North Myrtle Beach Aquatic and Fitness Center. (360) 213-3620 or 281-3737 to schedule an appointment.
Zumba | 6 p.m. Monday and Thursday, Center for Health & Fitness. $5 members and $8 non-members. 716-7111
Yoga | 6:30-7:45 p.m. Mondays and 1-2:15 p.m. Wednesdays through Nov. 28, Brunswick Center,1513 N. Howe St., Suite 1, Southport, N.C. $25/month for one class or $40/month for two classes or $10/drop-in. 910-253-2583.
Weight Loss Program: Why "Weight" Women, Get Healthy Now | 5:30-7:30 p.m. Thursdays through Nov. 29, offered by Brunswick County Parks and Recreation. $65 per person. Pre-registration required, 910-253-2583.
Zumba | 8-9 a.m. Tuesday and Thursday through Dec. 20, Body Dimensions, Shallotte, N.C. $35 month/$10 drop-in.
Lecture: Heart Healthy Living | 7:30 a.m. Wednesday, Center for Health and Fitness. Light refreshments. 390-8326.
Prostate screenings | 3 p.m. Wednesday,and 5 p.m. Thursday, Loris Medical Plaza, 3617 Casey St., Loris. $20. 756-5186 to schedule an appointment.
Prostate screenings | 5 p.m. Wednesday, and Sept. 24, Sea Mountain Medical Park, 3600 Sea Mountain Highway, Little River. $20. 399-3066.
Sunshine Camp | 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday, Sharon United Methodist Church, 2030 Holden Beach Road, Supply, N.C. The one day session is for children grades 2 to 5 coping with the death of a loved one. $10. (910) 796-8056 or (800) 733-1476 to register.
• Diabetes | 10 a.m. Sept. 28, McLeod Seacoast. 716-7736