Bank robber gets nearly nine years
A Myrtle Beach man was sentenced in federal court Tuesday in the robbery of several Myrtle Beach area banks last year, according to Bill Nettles, U.S. District Attorney for South Carolina.
Anthony Joseph Jennings, 44, was sentenced in a federal court in Florence for armed bank robbery and use of a firearm in furtherance of a crime.
He was sentenced to 105 months in prison, five years supervised release and is ordered to pay $18,102 in restitution. Additionally, Jennings was ordered to forfeit the $15,700 seized when he was arrested.
Jennings robbed four banks between Feb. 8 and April 4 last year including the Carolina First Bank at 4100 Postal Way, the First Citizens Bank at 440 River Oaks Drive, the Carolina First at 1801 U.S. 17 South in North Myrtle Beach, and the BB&T at 2300 U.S. 501 East.
Reward offered for teen shooting suspect
Conway police are trying to find a man wanted on multiple charges who got away from police after they had him in custody.
Police have offered a reward for information leading to his arrest.
Donavon Curtis Johnson, 19, is wanted on charges of unlawful carrying of a firearm, possession with the intent to distribute marijuana, two counts of resisting arrest, possession of stolen property and petty larceny in an incident from Sept. 12.
He also is wanted on charges for attempted murder, first degree burglary, possession of a weapon during the commission of a violent crime, possession of a fire arm by certain persons unlawful, and kidnapping in connection with a shooting May 9, on Maple Avenue.
Police responded to Singleton Street and Whittemore Street about 1:30 a.m. Wednesday where shots had been fired. On scene, officers said they found Johnson hiding behind shrubbery, but he jumped a fence and fled before he was arrested behind a home on Wright Boulevard, police said.
Johnson was taken to the Conway Police satellite station where he was questioned about the shooting, but when officers tried to put him into a patrol car to be taken to jail fled. Police were not able to capture him.
Johnson also is accused in a shooting on the 2200 block of Maple Avenue on May 9 where one man was shot twice.
A $500 reward has been offered for information leading to Johnson’s arrest. Anyone with information on the incident or the location of Johnson is asked to call Conway police.
Area man found dead in national forest
Berkeley County Sheriff’s authorities are investigating the death of a Conway man whose body was found in the Francis Marion National Forest.
Captain Rick Ollic, with the Berkeley County Sheriff’s Office, said someone noticed a sports utility vehicle on Brick Church Road and reported it to authorities Tuesday, according to a report from the Post and Courier.
Robert Lamar Moultrie, 31, died from a gunshot wound, said Berkeley County Coroner Bill Salisbury. Police did not release the number of times he was shot and the location of the wounds.
Investigators found Moultrie inside the SUV along the forestry road at around 8 a.m., officials said.
Capt. Ollic said the man had been reported missing with the Georgetown County Sheriff’s Office. Investigators sent the body to MUSC for an autopsy to determine the cause of death.
The Berkeley County Sheriff’s Office is working with the Georgetown County Sheriff’s Office.
Anyone with information should contact Crime Stoppers at 554-1111 or the Berkeley County Sheriff’s Office at 719-4412.
Police cadet involved in vehicle wreck
Troopers with the S.C. Highway Patrol are investigating the circumstances of a two vehicle crash that involved a Myrtle Beach police cadet in a department vehicle, according to authorities.
The cadet was driving on Oak Street at 33rd Avenue North on Wednesday morning when the crash occurred, Myrtle Beach police Capt. David Knipes said. The cadet was T-boned by another vehicle that appeared to fail to stop at the stop sign at the intersection, Knipes said.Both drivers were taken to a nearby hospital, but neither suffered serious injuries.
The crash is under investigation.
83-year-old woman exploited
A North Carolina woman was charged with exploiting an 83-year-old woman she was caring for while the victim’s daughter was away on vacation, according to a Surfside Beach police report.
Tammy May Taylor, 21, of Ocean Isle Beach, N.C., was charged with exploitation of a vulnerable adult after she surrendered to police on Monday, according to authorities.
Taylor was released on $5,000 bail on Tuesday from J. Rueben Long Detention Center, according to jail records.
The charges stemmed from Taylor being employed to care for the victim, who lives in Surfside Beach, according to a police report. The victim’s daughter told police that Taylor had a credit card to use for household expenses such as groceries and gasoline for the victim.
The victim was hospitalized in July and the victim’s daughter learned additional charges were made on the credit card while it was in Taylor’s possession, according to the report. The victim’s daughter said more than $2,000 in unauthorized charges were made on the card since July 17.
From staff reports