MYRTLE BEACH — Its been a long time coming, but Carolina Forest residents are finally getting their library.
The Horry County Memorial Library System will open the doors of its brand-new Carolina Forest branch on Tuesday at 10 a.m.
Workers were busy Wednesday and Thursday going through training and handling last-minute preparations ahead of the Sept. 4 opening.
The staff for the Carolina Forest library consists of two full-time employees and two part-time workers. One of the hires a full-time librarian will mean the library can remain open Monday through Saturday, as opposed to the original plan of five days.
Once the doors open, there will be plenty activities throughout the month of September. They include tours of the new facility, e-reader clinics and book club organization meetings.
Tuesdays opening brings to an end the long saga of getting the library up and running.
Construction on the library was finished in December, months earlier than expected, but the doors remained closed.
There was no funding in place to hire staff since it wasnt expected to open until after the recently completed 2013 fiscal year budget cycle.
Anticipation was the $4.1 million library wouldnt be complete until April or May, coinciding with the start of the Horry County Councils budget talks.
Hours for the new library will be Monday through Thursday, 10 a.m. to 7 p.m., and Friday and Saturday from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Study: SWA has funds for landfill closure
An independent review found the Horry County Solid Waste Authority has appropriately reserved enough money for landfill closure and post-closure needs, according to Mike Bessant, governmental affairs director for the SWA.
The SWA hired TRS Environmental Corporation to handle a peer review of the current closure and post-closure financial assurance estimates. The review determined the $21 million the SWA saved over the last 20 years is sufficient, according to Bessant.
Current estimates by the SWA are that that landfill will close in 2035 and approximately $42 million will be needed for closure costs.
The closure and post-closure care requirements must comply with federal standards once the landfill stops receiving waste and begins closing, according to Bessant.
Landfill operators are required to continue monitoring and maintaining the landfill once its closed to protect against the release of hazards into the environment.
Loris airport temporarily closing
The Loris-Twin Cities Airport will close temporarily for runway rehabilitation and improvements beginning Sept. 4, according to a press release.
Work will last for 30 days, and the airport will reopen on Oct. 4.
The total cost for the project is $140,000, the release stated. The Federal Aviation Administration is funding 95 percent, while Horry County is handling the remaining 5 percent with airport revenues.
The runway rehabilitation project and navigational upgrades are necessary for ongoing safe and efficient operations at the airport, said Mike La Pier, Director of Airports.
Contact BRAD DICKERSON at 626-0301.