• Aug. 11 | A secretary workshop is at Surfside Bowling Center at 10 a.m. All winter league secretaries are urged to attend.
• Winter leagues | Winter league schedules are out, or will be shortly, so pick up one in the centers and sign up for the league of your choice.
• Mondays | The Grand Strand Seniors Men’s Golf Association plays a tournament every Monday at a different golf course on the Grand Strand. Any amateur male golfer over 50 is eligible. Snowbirds welcomed! Visit www.gssmga.org.
• Aug. 11 | The St. James Booster Club & Girl’s basketball team will host the 8th annual Sharks Tournament at the International Club in Murrells Inlet. All proceeds with go towards St. James athletic programs. It will be an 8:30 a.m. shotgun start, 4-man Captain’s Choice format. There is an early bird special of $65 per player or $260 per team if paid before August 1. After August 1, it is $75 per player and $300 per team. The fee includes green and cart fees, lunch, beverages and a goodie bag. Prizes will be awarded to the top four teams, male/female closest to the pin and longest drive. There will also be four hole-in-one prizes: 2012 Harley Davidson Fat Boy or $20,000 cash, set of Cleveland irons, Kindle Fire and $500 Visa gift card and a raffle will be conducted. For more information, contact Stan Patterson at 833-3401 or Kari Collins at 602-4851.
• Aug. 12 | The Grand Strand Optimist Club is having the 16th annual Benefit Tournament on August 12th at The Burning Ridge Golf Course. The price is $75.00 for one player or $125.00 for two. It’s to benefit children’s charities like "Shop with a Cop" where children who have very little can shop for their own Christmas presents. For more information, contact Kevin Cox at 843-421-0888.
• Aug. 18 | The Golfsters charity tournament to benefit the Special Kids Program, Man O’War Golf Club, 1 p.m. shotgun start, three-man captain’s choice scramble format. Entry fee of $75 per player and $225 per team includes a registration cocktail party and dinner on Aug. 17 at Danny Lee’s Place in Socastee featuring a reverse raffle, auction and open bar. Cash prizes are awarded to the top teams and a team through a random drawing. The Special Kids Program assists foster children in Horry and Georgetown counties, and the Golfsters also donates to deserving children and families. Contact Jack Stogner at 843-997-9805.
• Aug. 18 | The 9th Annual "Adopt A Tree Highway" Golf Tournament at Wachesaw Plantation East. Captains choice format with tourney flighted for Ladies, Mens, Senior and Super Senior. Cost is $60 per person; $240 per team. Continental Breakfast in the morning, lunch of steak and chicken from the Outback Steakhouse in Murrells Inlet. Hole in one contest for trip to Pebble Beach and putting contest for $2,500. Proceeds used to maintain 2 1/4 miles of Highway 17 Byapass, ALL Volunteer. More info call Lou @ 843-215-3753.
• Aug. 18 | The 22nd annual Beach Ball Classic Golf Tournament, Founder’s Club in Pawleys Island, four-person captain’s choice net score format, 9 a.m. shotgun start. Entry fee of $260 per team ($65 per player) includes prizes for top teams and contests, food and drinks. Proceeds benefit the Beach Ball Classic Scholarship Fund, which has awarded over $500,000 in college scholarships to more than 300 students since 1984. Hole sponsorships available. Contact Billy Hurston at firstname.lastname@example.org or 843-457-1968.
• Aug. 18 | The 22nd Annual Beach Ball Classic Golf Tournament will be held August 18 at The Founder’s Club in Pawleys Island. The tournament is a 4-man captain’s choice format and will begin at 9:00 am with a shotgun start. The entry fee is $260 per team or $65 per player which includes golf, prizes, food, and drinks. Contests will include longest drive, closest to the pin, longest putt, and 1st Place, 2nd Place, and 3rd Place Net Score. Proceeds will benefit the Beach Ball Classic Scholarship Fund that has awarded over $500,000 in college scholarships to over 300 deserving students since 1984. Hole sponsorships of $100 are also available. For more information or to reserve your spot in the tournament, contact Billy Hurston at email@example.com or 843-457-1968.
• Aug. 23 | The Sun News Educational Foundation Tournament, Pine Lakes Country Club, 10a.m. shotgun start, 9 a.m. registration, two-person team captain’s choice format. Entry fee of $110 per person includes continental breakfast, lunch and goody bag. Proceeds benefit The Sun News Educational Foundation, which provides college scholarships to area high school seniors. Contact Peggy Studds at 843-626-0250 or firstname.lastname@example.org or Diana Fromal at 843-626-0247 or email@example.com.
• Aug. 25 | Future Generations Tournament to benefit the First Tee of the Grand Strand, Myrtle Beach National Southcreek and West courses, captain’s choice format, 8 a.m. shotgun start. Team registrations only. Entry fee of $380 per foursome includes breakfast, barbecue lunch and cocktail hour with complimentary beer and wine. Prizes in mens, womens and couples divisions. Silent and live auction items include a Greenbrier Resort vacation. Hole-in-one prize is four Masters practice round tickets including hospitality tent access and limo service from Myrtle Beach. Register at www.tftgs-tour.org or visit www.TheFirstTeeTheGrandStrand.org. Prospective sponsors can call Harry Coombs at 843-333-1931.
• Sept. 15 | The 7th Annual Grand Strand ‘Walk to End Alzheimer’s tournament will be held on September 15 at the River Oaks Golf Plantation. Entry fee is $75 per person or $300 per team, which includes green fees & cart, continental breakfast, lunch and beverages. Prizes for: longest drive, closest to pin and 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place teams, and tickets for additional prizes will be sold at registration. Funds raised will support the Alzheimer’s Association in efforts to raise awareness, education, support groups, respite assistance in South Carolina and support research into causes and potential cures. If you would like to participate in the golf tournament, interested in hole sponsorships or need more information, contact Kathy Milchman at 843-390-4001 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org or stop by River Oaks Golf Plantation and ask for Ron.
• Sept. 15 | Unity of Myrtle Beach is holding its first annual Golf Classic on September 15 at Indigo Creek Golf Course in Murrells Inlet. Registration begins at 8:30 a.m. with a shotgun start and Captain’s Choice format at 10 a.m. A portion of the tournament proceeds will benefit a scholarship fund for Hope House of Myrtle Beach, a local non-profit supporting the basic needs of the over 200 homeless kids at Myrtle Beach High School. The cost per player is $75 and includes 18 holes with cart, lunch and two beverages. There will be goodie bags, raffles with fabulous prizes, a silent auction, hole-in-one contest, men and women’s long drive, closest to the pin and more! For more info and to register, visit http://unitymyrtlebeach.org/26-years-growing-vision/golf-classic/ or call (843) 238- 8516.
• Sept. 15 | The 14th Annual Carolina Italian American Organization's Golf Tournament will be held at Eagle Nest Golf Club. It will be a Captain’s Choice format with a 9:00 am shot gun start. Funds will benefit our locally military veterans. Entry fee is $65 per player which includes continental breakfast, food at the turn and beverages. Lunch will be provided by Kenny's. Little River Deli. For more information or to register, visit www.ciaocarolina.org or call Joe Leotta at 910-575-0618 or Cicco at 412-582-8901.
• Nov. 12-13 | DeBordieu Celebrity Pro-Am for Cystic Fibrosis, DeBordieu Club, Texas Scramble format in which the best drive of a fivesome is selected and each player completes the hole with his own ball from there. Handicaps counted. The Monday-Tuesday pro-am costs $1,000 per four-player team and includes banquets, food, beverages and a gift pack. A $2,000 team entry includes higher level gifts primarily from Adams Golf. A pro auction on Nov. 12 will determine each team’s fifth player. All proceeds benefit the SC chapter of the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation. Former PGA Tour member Jay Haas and Dillard Pruitt have committed to the event, as have area touring pros Sam Lyons, Michael Maness and Lauren Hunt. Visit dedordieuclub.com/golf or call 843-527-6000.
• Aug. 17 | Super Senior League Tennis Team Registration is open until August 17. Eligible players may play in the 60s, 70s and/or 75s divisions. League play will begin August 22. Information on key dates and deadlines is available at grandstrandtennis.net. For additional information, contact John Semmens at email@example.com or 843-293-5158 or Susie Honeycutt at firstname.lastname@example.org or 843-293-5158.
TO SUBMIT SCORES
• Please send your weekly scores and/or notes of interest to: email@example.com. Deadline for submissions is 3 p.m. Monday. Late submissions will be published the following week. Results appear in The Sun News each Thursday.
• Results must be submitted via e-mail to be included on our Scoreboard. No phone calls or faxes.
• Holes-in-one, eagles and shooting your age must be submitted by a representative from the course.