Second drive-by shooting suspect charged
Myrtle Beach police have charged a second man in a weekend drive-by shooting in the 700 block of Carolina Cove Drive.
Jarrell Maurice Hunter, 28, of Carolina Cove Drive, was charged Thursday with two counts of attempted murder and one count of possession of a weapon during a violent crime, according to a report at the Myrtle Beach Police Department.
On Tuesday, Reginald Rashad Hemphill, 24, was charged with three counts of attempted murder and pointing and presenting a firearm at a person in the same incident.
No one was injured in the weekend incident in which a woman, her child and the child’s father were shot at while standing in front of their home just after midnight Sunday, according to police.
Six or seven shots were fired at the trio from a blue Dodge Avenger with two people inside, police said.
The woman told police the shooter was her ex-boyfriend who had sent threatening text messages after the pair fought over money.
Man seen breaking into vehicle
An employee at a miniature golf business on North Kings Highway believes he may have spotted the person who broke into a customer’s vehicle Thursday night and stole her purse, according to a report at the Myrtle Beach Police Department.
The report said that the employee told police he saw a suspicious-looking man, thin and about six feet tall, in the parking lot when he came to work earlier that night.
The vehicle’s owner said she arrived at the business about 7:30 p.m. When she left at 9:15 p.m., she found her vehicle’s front passenger window broken and her purse missing from the seat where she had left it, according to the report.
The report said she had a driver’s license, credit cards and cash, among other things, in the purse.
The employee said the person he spotted in the parking lot drove away in a 2002 dark gray Ford Focus with S.C. plates and moderate damage to the front of the vehicle, the report said.
Hacksaw robber wanted
Myrtle Beach police have issued a warrant for a man who was identified as the person who robbed a convenience store on Third Avenue South. Thursday by brandishing a hacksaw at two employees, according to a report at the Myrtle Beach Police Department.
The report said that police, using the description given of the suspect by the employees, later spotted him walking towards U.S. 501 on Third Avenue South. Police took him back to the convenience store where the employees identified him as the robber, the report said.
A 30-year-old homeless man is wanted for armed robbery, Myrtle Beach police said. The Sun News does not identify suspects until formal charges have been filed.
The man is accused of pointing a hacksaw at the chest of a clerk behind the counter and told him and the other employee to open the register and give him the money. The report said the man jumped over the counter when the drawer was opened, emptied the cash from it and dropped the money tray on the floor.
He then jumped back over the counter and fled the scene.
NORTH MYRTLE BEACH
Swimming advisories lifted
Swimming advisories on two stretches of oceanfront in North Myrtle Beach were lifted Thursday, according to the S.C. Department of Health and Environmental Control.
The waters had high bacteria levels following the downpours Tuesday and Wednesday.
The advisory affected 200 feet in either direction of Third Avenue North and 17th Avenue South, said Sean Torrens, with DHEC.
“High bacteria levels have been detected in this section of the beach and swimming si not advised until bacteria levels return to normal,” he said.
Swimming in water with high bacteria levels areas carries the risk of contracting gastroenteritis, which has similar symptoms as the flu.
From staff reports