Coastal Carolina tight end David Duran was named to The Sports Network’s Football Championship Subdivision third team All-America on Monday.
Duran, a sixth-year senior and two-time All-Big South first team selection, was selected a third team All-American by the organization a season ago before missing most of 2011 while injured.
Duran was also selected – along with three teammates – to a College Football Performance Awards watch list. Duran was on the tight ends watch list, while quarterback Aramas Hillary, linebacker Andrae Jacobs and punt returner Niccolo Mastromatteo were also on watch lists for their respective positions.
Little League Softball
• NORTH MYRTLE BEACH The Myrtle Beach American girls defeated Trnholm of Columbia 24-1 Monday in the first round of the double-elimination Little League Softball State Tournament for ages 9 and 10.
Myrtle Beach American advanced to the winner’s bracket, where it will play Wednesday against an opponent yet to be determined.
• LEXINGTON Three area doubles squads earned titles Monday at the South Carolina Closed Junior Hardcourt State Championship.
Andrews’ Justin Dunn teamed with Troy Swartling to win the doubles title in the boys 18 division, North Myrtle Beach’s Taylor Childress and Mount Pleasant’s Cerran Carver teamed to win the girls 16 division title and Myrtle Beach’s Rivers Cahill and Surfside’s Caleb Johnson paired up to win the boys 10 division doubles title.
Cahill was also the runner-up in the singles division. Childress was the girls’ sportsmanship award winner.
• First round–Rivers Cahill (MB) def. Gavin Strickland (Mount Pleasant) 4-2, 4-1; Caleb Johnson (Surfside Beach) def. Hampton Cope (Lexington 4-0, 4-0; second round–Rivers Cahill (MB) def. Max Miller (Columbia) 5-3, 4-1); Zachary Dacuva (Mount Pleasant) def. Caleb Johnson (Surfside Beach) 4-0, 4-0; semifinals–Rivers Cahill (MB) def. Zachary Dacuva (Mount Pleasant (4-2, 4-0); finals–Elliott Eischeid (Mount Pleasant) def. Rivers Cahill (MB) 5-4, 2-4, 7-4.
• First round–Rivers Cahill (MB)/Caleb Johnson (Surfside Beach) def. Hampton Cope (Lexington)/Zade Hyatt (North Charleston) 4-0, 4-0; finals–Rivers Cahill (MB)/Caleb Johnson (Surfside Beach) def. Max Miller (Columbia)/John Ramsey (Daniel Island) 6-4.
• First round–Noah Johnson (Surfside Beach) def. Jackson Pye (Spartanburg) 6-1, 7-5; Jason Smith (Spartanburg) def. John Edward Cahill (MB) 6-2, 6-0; second round–Alex Likins (Hilton Head) def. Noah Johnson (Surfside Beach) 6-0, 6-3; consolation–John Edward Cahill (MB) def. Jackson Armistead (Hilton head) 6-1, 6-1; Luke Pendergast (Mount Pleasant) def. John Edward Cahill (MB) 6-3, 7-5); Luke Pendergast (Mount Pleasant) def. Noah Johnson (Surfside Beach) 6-3, 6-4.
• First round–Justin Dunn (Andrews) def. Thomas Bryan (Lexington) 6-2, 6-3; James Pennell (Greenville) def. Jacob Moore (MB) 6-0, 6-2); Liam Buckely (MB) def. Hector Vazquez (Lexington) 6-7, 6-2, 6-2); quarterfinals–Jerry Price (West Columbia) def. Justin Dunn (Andrews) 6-3, 3-6, 6-4; Patrick Tobacco (Spartanburg) def. Liam Buckely (MB) 6-0, 6-0.
• First round–Troy Swartling (MB) def. Frederick Blais (Irmo) 7-5, 6-3; Miller Merchant (Greenville) def. Coste Duvall (Conway) 6-2, 6-2; second round–Troy Swartling (MB) def. Barrett Hardy (Spartanburg) 6-3, 7-5; third round–Miller Merchant (Greenville) def. Troy Swartling (MB) 6-0, 5-7, 6-3; consolation–Coste Duvall (Conway) def. Barrett Hardy (Spartanburg) 4-6, 6-3, 7-6).
• Championship–Justin Dunn (Andrews)/Troy Swartling (MB) def. Frederick Blais (Irmo)/Austin Williams (Irmo) 8-2.
• First round–Madison Daniel (Beaufort) def. Carrington Callihan (MB) 6-0, 6-0
• First round–Rachel Berkey (MB) def. Kristen Farmer (Moncks Corner) 6-1, 6-4; Taylor Childress (NMB) def. Rebecca Weaver (Lake City) 6-0, 6-2; second round–Cerran Carver (Mount Pleasant) def. Rachel Berkey (MB) 6-1, 6-0; Taylor Childress (NMB) def. Julia Learmonth (Elgin) 6-4, 6-0; third round–Savanna Fuller (Chapin) def. Taylor Childress (NMB) 6-2, 6-1.
• Finals–Cerran Carver (Mount Pleasant)/Taylor Childress (NMB) def. Brittany Desmond (Columbia)/Maggie Herring (Columbia) 8-3.
Junior American Legion baseball
• (At) Socastee 10, Johnsonville 0 | Sam McKinney allowed two hits and struck out six in six innings to lead Socastee to a win over Johnsonville in the first round of the Junior American Legion playoffs.
• W–Sam McKinney (3-0). L–Cory Cooper. Top hitters – JOHNS: Jacob Prosser, Hunter Springs. SOC: Dylan Thompson 1RBI, Kyle Smith 2 RBIs, Jason Feria, Devin Melko 2 RBIs, Hunter Renfrow 2 RBIs.
Records – Johnsonville (2-10), Socastee (17-2).