Police roundup | 74-year-old man charged with beating girlfriend with piece of wood

June 11, 2012 

Police

MYRTLE BEACH

74-year-old accused of beating girlfriend

A 74-year-old Myrtle Beach man was arrested after his 58-year-old girlfriend told police he beat her with a piece of wood, according to a police report.

Officers found the woman at an Eagles Beachwear store located at 22nd Avenue North at 2 a.m. Sunday and learned the incident had occurred about 30 minutes before inside their apartment at 2200 N. Kings Highway, police said.

Monroe Hoyt Johnson, 74, is charged with second-degree assault and battery, according to Myrtle Beach police records.

The woman told officers she was sleeping in bed when Johnson came in and started hitting her with a piece of wood, according to the report. The woman said Johnson also punched her in the face several times and told her to leave or he would kill her.

The victim escaped and called police.

Officers found a large piece of wood outside the apartment that had blood on it and traces of blood inside the apartment, according to the report. The victim was taken to Grand Strand Regional Medical Center for treatment of cuts to her right eye, which required stitches and bruises to the back of her legs.

The victim told police that Johnson blamed her for the pain she caused him, but that he had never done anything like that before, according to the report. The victim also told police that Johnson was paranoid.

Officers arrested Johnson after he returned to the apartment.

MYRTLE BEACH

Suspect in woman’s assault in custody

Myrtle Beach police are investigating a woman being beaten late Sunday inside an apartment on Brewster Drive, according to a police report.

Officers were called about 10 p.m. Sunday to 2171 Brewster Drive for a disturbance and spoke with a resident, who told police there had been a lot of yelling and the sound of doors slamming inside a ground floor apartment, police said.

Officers found a bloody towel on the ground in the parking lot and blood on the ground near the apartment, according to the report. Officers knocked on the front door, but no one answered, so other officers went around to the back door.

A 40-year-old woman came out of the back door of the apartment and over the balcony asking for help from officers, according to the report. The woman was covered in blood, had both eyes nearly swollen shut and was shaking. Officers took the woman to EMS for treatment and the woman told police a 43-year-old man would kill her if he saw her walk by the front door.

Officers tried to make contact with the man, but he did not answer the door. Police watched the apartment while they called SWAT officers and secured a search warrant for the apartment.

Capt. David Knipes said officers got a search warrant for the apartment and SWAT members entered the apartment and found the man on the floor. The man was suffering from self-inflicted wounds, but they were not life-threatening injuries. The man was taken to the hospital for treatment.

CONWAY

Man charged in 2006 sexual assault

A Conway man has been charged with sexually assaulting a then 2-year-old girl in 2006, according to a police report.

Jarvis Emmanuel Samuel, 23, of Conway, was booked into J. Reuben Long Detention Center at 9:43 p.m. Saturday on charges if speeding, 10 mph or less over the limit, and first-degree criminal sexual conduct with a minor under the age of 11, according to jail records.

The sexual conduct charge stemmed from a 23-year-old woman reporting on March 20 to Horry County police that a now 7-year-old girl told her she had been sexually assaulted by Samuel while they were on vacation in March 2006, according to a police report. The girl was 2 at the time of the assault.

The girl also told the woman that she was sexually assaulted by the suspect in Dillon County and a report was filed with the Dillon County Sheriff’s Office. The girl reported the incident to the woman in March and the woman contacted police.

Samuel is being held at the jail without bond on the sexual conduct charge, while bond was set at $100 for the speeding charge, which was unrelated to the assault.

From staff reports

Myrtle Beach Sun News is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service